21 | rєнαв

a/n: I'm having another one of those comment contests again! What that means is basically you gotta comment the hell out this chapter and the person who has the most comments gets a follow from me and a dedication on the next chapter! Or if I already follow you ... I guess you get the satisfaction of knowing that you're better than everyone else who reads the chapter without leaving their thoughts. Yes, you, I know exactly who you are lol.

You were like my lover and my best friend All wrapped into one with a ribbon on it

All wrapped into one with a ribbon on it

Chapter 21 ~ Rehab

Bobby Cooper

I'd be the first one to admit that things were definitely not going according to plan.

The plan was simple, almost way too simple to be fucked up to this degree. The plan was to be best friends with Ryan until the end of time, for better or for worse. The plan was to piss off my parents just enough to make them realize that they were overbearing and super controlling. The plan was to keep Liza around whenever I wanted some fun and to ditch her whenever she crossed her boundaries.

The plan was to do everything in my power to make myself happy.

When I woke up the next morning feeling like shit physically and emotionally, I knew that I certainly wasn't happy because all of my methods of achieving happiness had all turned to shit. It had only been one full day since everything unfolded at dinner but one thing was clear: just like everyone else who dared to cross paths with me, Ryan hated me, my parents hated me, and Liza hated me.

It had gotten so bad that no one bothered to wake me up for breakfast on Wednesday morning. I woke up sometime after two to find that everyone was out on the lake, enjoying themselves in the water.

My first thought was to follow the aroma of greasy food, eventually landing on Ryan's parents who were standing on the dock, grilling what looked like hotdogs and hamburgers. My parents were not too far, sunbathing on the lounge chairs we had lugged from home. Liza and Kahori were throwing rocks into the lake while Bryan lingered beside them with his attention fixed on his phone.

And further into the distance, standing on a board equipped with a sail in the middle of the lake, was Ryan ... except he wasn't alone.

I had to squint to train my eyes to see through the stretch to hopefully get a glimpse at the mysterious person. He was small in build, so I knew he couldn't have been Dylan, his long lost brother; in fact, I hadn't seen Dylan around since the day that everything came back to bite me in the ass.

My feet moved quicker than my mind could because before I knew it, I was descending the porch steps two at a time and running out onto the dock to get a better look. Jamie addressed me with a very detached "good morning", but I was too concerned with Ryan's new friend to reciprocate the bitter greeting. Instead, I sufficed for a, "who's that?"