15 | ωє rι∂є

You and I know it's not that easy to let go
Of everything that we planned
And start all over again

Chapter 15 ~ We Ride

Bobby Cooper

It had been 10 days, 2 hours, and 37 minutes since Ryan ended our friendship­–not like I was counting or anything, I just took it upon myself to set a timer to see how long Ryan would last without his right-hand man.

Turns out, he can last 10 days, 2 hours, and 38 minutes which couldn't have been any more of a slap to the face because I, too, had set a timer to see how long I would last without my right-hand man, and that answer was 3 hours. As soon as I hit the four-hour mark, I had flooded Ryan's phone with a slew of text messages, a dozen missed calls, and just as many angry voicemails which, to my surprise, went answered.

Ryan had decided to cut me out of his life with a pair of blunt scissors all because I wanted to stop him from making possibly the biggest mistake of his life and that mistake came in the form of a kid who wore ugly sweater vests and had an affinity for getting people pregnant. I wasn't going to sit back and allow that to happen if there was a chance I'd be able to stop it.

Ryan blamed me for "meddling", as he so put it, when all I had ever tried to do was be the best friend that Ryan deserved, but he just didn't seem to see things the way I saw them. He was obviously in an emotional state when he decided to break a spit-shake promise of swearing to be friends until the end of time, so I wanted to give him space to get it together, knowing he'd come back to me when he was ready.

Because, let's face it, he'd always come back because he couldn't not be my best friend. The thought of it alone made me shudder in discomfort.

So I was willing to wait as long as it took to have my best friend again even if it meant I'd have to pretend to be okay whenever I saw him in public.

But the fake smile I had used to cover my internal anguish started to falter the moment I saw my best friend pressed against a white board with his lips attached to our chemistry teacher's. After I had been nice enough to give Ryan the time he needed, he decided to use the time away to have forbidden sex with Mr. Adney which, if I recalled correctly, he had previously chastised me about suggesting.

I couldn't tell whether I was angry, sad, or confused because I certainly felt a mixture of emotions watching the two of them flick tongues, so instead of sticking around to try to figure it out, I fled the scene and spent the entire trek to my car trying to think of everything else but the fact that my best friend was now with an older man. Sure, I had been the one that technically set them up and despite never receiving my thank yous, it wasn't like I actually thought that Ryan and Mr. Adney would work out.

This had been going on for a while, I concluded, and it was probably the reason why Ryan felt so comfortable without me for these past two weeks.

So much for bros before hoes.

I was almost successful in ridding the graphic visual of Ryan and Mr. Adney making out from my mind, until I heard a familiar voice shout after me, ordering me to stop walking. Part of me wanted to ignore the voice just like he had ignored all of my calls, but I was clearly the nicer one.

So with a bottled sigh, I spun around suddenly, fixating my gaze on Ryan who was trying so desperately to push past the crowd of students to catch up with me. He was nearly out of breath by the time he stumbled in front of me. "Bobby," he said, and I hated that I wanted to smile at the sound of him saying my name.