Chapter 8

"Hey!" I turned at the sound of George's voice

"Hey!" I turned at the sound of George's voice. He was speed walking up to me as he tried to fit into his coat. It was Saturday evening, and the store I worked at had just closed a few minutes ago. Even if it was seven-thirty in the evening, the mall was still flowing with people, and I had almost not been able to spot George in the crowd.

"Hey, wait up," he said as he came to a stop in front of me. "I thought we were walking downstairs together?" he asked, and I nodded, muttering an apology.

"I guess I was just in a hurry to leave. I'm a bit late," I said as we started to walk side by side.

"Late for what?" he asked, making me look up at him. He had a curious look on his face as he smiled down at me. I looked away, turning my gaze to the road ahead as I hummed.

"A friend invited me over for dinner," I answered as we climbed on the escalator. "You know who it is. It's my former roommate," I added, and George let out an 'oh' as he nodded to himself. He looked a bit tired, and that was normal after a long shift like the one we just had. I smiled to myself, wondering how he could be so nice to customers when he was so exhausted. I usually called it quits at the checkout desk when I was cranky.

"Yeah," I said, letting out a happy laugh as we got down and started making for the exit. The weather was a bit cool today, so I found myself throwing my hands around myself as we got out. George gave me a concerned look and I just looked away when he sighed.

"Do you need my jacket?" he asked, and my eyes flew wide as I turned to look over at him. He was pointing at the red jacket he had thrown over his work clothes. He never changed out of them in the lockers at all. I had asked him once and he something about trying to keep the water bill in his apartment down.

"I—"

"You can have it. I'm taking the train so it's not like I'll be out much," he said, and I bit down on my bottom lip as I narrowed my eyes at him. Why's he so nice to me? I wondered to myself as I watched him take off his jacket before handing it to me. "Come on, wear it," he said with a small smile and I nodded before putting it on. It was big, but I guess it didn't matter since George was smiling now. My face was warming up too, and I don't know. Maybe I was reacting like this because he was too nice. Sometimes I felt nervous about it.

"If you don't have anything doing, maybe we could go out and eat sometime," he said, ruffling my hair. I wanted to say something, but he shifted his attention to his phone almost immediately. I touched my hair, watching him as I tried to sort out the confusing feeling in my chest.

"I'll be off then. I hope you have a good time," he said, looking up from his phone before walking away. He turned when I called out to him. I smiled, waving at him. He returned it before continuing on his way home. When he was completely out of sight I started walking in the direction of the bus stop. They were still running. The bus I entered had a few people in it. I hadn't been around the area Xander and Maxwell were now living in, so it took some time figuring out where I was supposed to drop off, but when I did I was off the bus and looking for the street with their apartment building.