Chapter 15

"Oliver, are you paying attention?" I blinked, realizing that I had spaced out

"Oliver, are you paying attention?" I blinked, realizing that I had spaced out. I looked away from the movie screen in front of me before turning to George who was sitting beside me in the movie theatre. It was Saturday, and we had made plans to meet up after I had asked him if he wanted to hang out on a whim. I still wasn't over the fact that he had agreed. I had spent a lot of time on my appearance while getting ready, and anytime I caught a glimpse of my face in a reflective surface I noted how red and nervous I looked. No matter how I tried to hide it, I really couldn't. I just hoped George didn't think I was sick or something.

"Sorry," I whispered, watching as George gave me a small smile. The blue light coming from the big screen shaded his face in a way that made my heartstrings tug. I couldn't even see him properly in the dark but here I was fidgeting on my seat and spacing out.

I didn't even know what the stupid movie was about, but George seemed to like it, so I guess I'll tolerate it. I spent most of the time glancing at him, and from time to time I'd look down at his hand that was resting on the chair's arm. my eyes would flutter, and heat would run up my cheeks before I looked away. No, I wasn't that brave to make direct moves. I guess I'll just hope George picks up that I like him with time. Or, maybe he knows and is just humoring me. I can't tell.

"Hey." I almost jumped back and tripped on someone when I heard George's voice. An apology left my lips when I turned to the person behind me who just cursed under their breath as I sidestepped out of the way. We were leaving the movie theatre now. The movie has finished showing, and the lights had come on. I was still trying to apologize to the person that was now walking off, but I stopped when I felt George's hand on my shoulder.

"You've apologized already," he said with a chuckle and I bit down on my lip as he led me out of the theatre. We walked out of the building after that, moving to the side so that people could still get in. We stood there for a bit, just staring into the road. George didn't anything, and neither did I. I looked over at him from the side of my eye, watching his expression, but I couldn't read it. I looked away, and it became oddly silent between us.

"So—"

"George—"

We both paused and turned to look at each other with wide eyes when we realized we were talking at the same time. George grinned, chuckling a bit and I just stared at him, not knowing to want to say.

"You go first." He shrugged, leaning back on the brick wall of the theatre. It was around four in the evening now. We had gotten here a little after one. Today was sunny and the warm. A huge contrast to the past few weeks that have been cold and unbearable. We were having a mini heat wave of some sort. The yellow light of the sun bathed the street and building. I sidestepped out of the light, which made me stand a little closer to George.

Let's see. I said in my head, trying to rearrange the words in my mouth. "Gosh, I swear I had a plan when I started talking," I said out loud, and George laugh, making me smile through my nerves. George was in a plain old plaid wool sweater and blue jeans. I looked very overdressed standing next to him. I bit my bottom lip, looking away as I still tried to remember what I wanted to say. I didn't want to fill my head with tiny clues that pointed towards the fact that George didn't care as much as I did about this.