Chapter 14

When I woke up from my nap in the afternoon a sense of dread washed over me

When I woke up from my nap in the afternoon a sense of dread washed over me. For a minute I was about to throw myself back on my bed, and call quits concerning meeting Grace and Harry at the main quad. I was starting to wonder why I accepted their offer in the first place, and a part of me was tied up in nerves as I imagined every and anything that could go wrong.

The main quad is public ground. I repeated to myself, forcing my feet to lift me up from the bed. It's not like Harry and Grace could beat me up or shout me down with hundreds of people passing by every few seconds.

No, they wouldn't do that.

My anxiety was calmed a bit, and I decided to get ready and leave before I could start second-guessing the meeting again. As I moved around the room and got ready, I noticed that Austin's eyes were following me. He was sitting on his bed with a comic book in his hand. His curly dark hair didn't seem combed, and maybe he had woken up just a while ago.

"What?" I asked, frowning a bit. He didn't look away when I made it clear that I knew he was staring at me. Austin shook his head, letting out a small hum before covering his face with the comic in his hands. My frown only deepened at his reaction. I sighed, shaking my head before leaving my room. I jogged down the stairs, and I almost ran in the residence lobby. I wasn't sure why I could hear my heart beating in my ears. Was I afraid maybe?

The main quad wasn't too far off from the residence. I lived on campus, and everything was within walking distance. I tucked my hands in the pocket of my jacket, not wanting the biting cold to get to them. The winds were harsh on my face, and I had a hard time keeping my head up as I walked to the main quad. It was early in the evening, and students were still moving around. It made me feel safer, and hopefully, the quad won't be empty when I met up with Grace and Harry.

When I got to the main quad I looked around the field, trying to spot the pair waiting for me. I walked about the field for a bit, my sneakers not really enjoying the slippery feel of the wet grass as I moved about.

"Hey!" I froze in my spot at the sound of the familiar voice. My heart was beating harder against my chest as I tried to process the fact, that yes, Harry was really calling out to me. We have never met each other face to face in real life, but I could spot that voice anywhere. When I used to be friends with Harry and the gang we would have length skype calls. Then their voices had made me happy — made me feel less alone and weird, but now hearing Harry made me contemplate pretending that I hadn't heard him so that I could slip away and make a run back to my residence.

I guess I was wasting too much time to reply, and that's why soon both Grace and Harry were standing by me. Grace to my left and Harry to my right.

"Didn't you hear me?" Harry asked, but I couldn't bring myself to look at him. Instead, I continued to look up ahead at the lecture building that wasn't too far away. If they tried anything funny I could make a run for it, right?