Chapter 13

After George kissed me I didn't know what to think

After George kissed me I didn't know what to think. I still don't know what to think a few days later. Things were a bit awkward the first day after work, but after a while, things went back to normal. George was still as nice to me as he always was. We still went for lunch break together and still waited for each other to be done with work before we walked to the bus stop together. But despite everything falling back in place, I could still feel things get awkward at times, or maybe it was just me.

Maybe I was imagining the way George would look at me a little too long. Maybe I was imagining him hesitate when he had to touch me. Maybe the way his face got red when I thanked him or smiled had nothing to do with him, and everything to do with him having a cold. Maybe I was just projecting the way I felt on him.

Maybe.

They were all just maybes.

"What are you thinking about?" I blinked, looking up from my food to look at Advik. We were the university's cafeteria, and he was sitting across from me. Since Grace started to stay clear from me I'd let my guard down and allowed Advik to hang around me like usual.

I opened my mouth to say something, but I got lost in thought just staring at Advik — at his lean face, and deep brown eyes. At his hair, at his concerned look. He was as handsome as ever, but I was starting to realize something that made me anxious and confused. My attraction to him was fading. It was still there, but dull. I didn't think about him all the time now, and I wasn't as red-faced and flushed around him anymore. It was like I was back at square one. When I started liking Advik, slowly and gradually — that, but it was now it was in reverse.

"Oliver?" Advik called, making me blink before muttering a string of apologies under my breath when I realized I had zoned out again.

"Sorry," I repeated, running a hand through my hair before looking from Advik to the food on my plate. I sat up straight, pushing my tray of food aside. It was cold now, and I hadn't even managed to eat a little bit, oh well.

"Did I do something wrong?" Advik asked, making me look over at him again. He was staring at me. He let out a sigh, laying back on his sit as he continued to talk. "You've been eating strange. I know it's partly because of Grace, but... I don't know... and I'll keep on not knowing if you don't talk to me," he said, and I bit my bottom lip. I didn't know what to say — where to start. How do you tell someone you don't like them as much as you used to? Wasn't that a slap to the face?

Advik sighed again before looking again, and that feeling of being distant and difficult filled my thoughts again. He was trying, he really was, but I didn't know how to stop confusing myself and making things difficult.

When Advik was done eating he left the cafeteria since he had a class soon. I didn't have anything to do for the rest of the day, so I stayed back. I'd brought my laptop with me, so I spent the next hour going through what I had complied to blackmail Grace. Everything was ready. All I had to do was meet up with her and argue a deal through, but I don't know.