Chapter 20

"She hasn't been on campus for over a week, do you think something's wrong?" I asked, turning my head to look at George

"She hasn't been on campus for over a week, do you think something's wrong?" I asked, turning my head to look at George. It was Friday evening and I had decided to sleep over at his place yet again. This was becoming a pattern. I would come over during the end of my school week to spend time with him, and it seems George's embarrassment over where he lives has completely vanished as a result of my frequent visits.

A sigh left his lips as he turned to look at me properly. We were so close; our noses were inches away from touching. My eyelids fluttered, and I looked away, unable to go along with the intense stare. I should have gotten used to this by now. Geroge had a tiny standard bed that was small for two people, but we somehow made it work.

"You've been talking to her all week, right?" he asked, placing his forehead on my back.

"Yeah," I answered, looking into his room as I bit inside my cheek. I still couldn't get the fact that she was skipping school off my mind. I knew I should stop worrying, but I had a bad feeling that she might be hurting herself or planning something that would hurt her along the way.

"You recommended her for counseling, right?" I nodded at George's question as I felt him run his fingers through my hair. I had it grow out a bit. It's not like I've really had space in my mind to think about things like haircuts. Geroge's fingers felt cool against my warm scalp. I closed my eyes, humming at how they felt when they moved under my shirt to give my back a rub. "Then you've done your best, don't worry too much about it," George muttered against my ear as he took his hand away from under my shirt to pull me closer to me in a spoon.

I understood what George was trying to say. I really did, but I was worried. Despite everything I've been telling myself for the past few days I couldn't help being worried. She would reply when I texted her, she would postpone meeting up me to figure out how we'd get her out of trouble, and I began to worry that she might be taking things into her own hands.

"She's not your responsibility."

"She's not my responsibility," I repeated what George whispered, taking in a deep breath as I tried to zone out from my thoughts. Talking about Grace a lot must be getting on Geroge's nerves. I should hang out with him as I had planned to.

I turned on the bed so that I was face to face with him again. "Thanks," I mumbled, leaning in to peck him before leaning away. "I needed that," I mumbled, smiling at him before snuggling into his naked chest. It felt nice, warm. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I'll give it a try. George was soft if that makes sense. His body was soft, and it felt nice lying next to him or cuddling into him.

"You're coming to watch me perform, right?" I asked, remembering that I had told George about performing at the contest. I had invited Xander and Maxwell. I had also asked Austin to come if he could and managed to tell Advik he could come over if he wanted to without things being awkward. It's bee awkward around Advik lately. He'd greet me and smile when I walked by or if we bumped into each other, but we couldn't just move back to being friends like before. It was too awkward, and I hated that I had lost a friend.