Year 1: Chapter 5

Willow tossed and turned in her bed, mumbling to herself.

Grace, no!

Avada Kedavra!

Willow gasped as she woke up, sweat trailing down her neck. Her chest seemed to be constricted between two brick walls that were slowly torturing her by closing in. Willow's stomach churned, her face white as if she was about to be sick.

"What are you doing?" a voice whispered.

Lavender Brown's shining eyes peered at Willow's terrified ones.

"Nothing, just a bad dream," Willow smoothly lied. "Go back to sleep, Lavender."

Lavender yawned, settling back into a comfortable position before softly snoring. Willow glanced at the watch on her nightstand. It read 5:30am. She sighed, knowing her body wouldn't let her return to sleep, and rose from her bed, heading into the bathroom.

Willow found a matchbox, lit a candle, and inhaled deeply as the warm scent of cinnamon filled her nose. She splashed water all over her face, calming herself down. A little color spread into her cheeks after a few minutes. Willow gazed into the mirror, her reflection staring back with dead eyes and defeated posture.

You can't give up, Willow thought. Don't give in. Remember what happened last time?

Willow shuddered, recoiling at the memories. That would never happen again. Never.

The sun wasn't even beginning to rise when Willow silently made her way down the stairs and into the common room. She placed herself in the wide frame of the window, folding her knees into her chest, staring blankly outside. Willow desperately wished that her mind would stop with this nonsense.

It will, eventually, a voice echoed in her mind.

Willow's eyes flew wide. I thought you only came when I'm feeling extreme emotions.

She almost jumped when the voice replied, You are. But this time, I'm going to talk to you instead of help you transform.

Thank you, Willow thought gratefully. I had no idea I could actually talk to you.

You could always do this. Your mind simply wasn't thinking about replying before.

May I ask you a question?

Of course.

Who are you, exactly?

I cannot tell you, but I may give you a clue: they're never far away.

Another riddle.

You may figure it out another time.

Willow shifted her position, watching the winged horses play in the treetops. What did you want to talk about?

Your father was right to inform you of the danger of your secret getting out. Keep it well hidden, for not everyone will take it as well as your friends.

Willow actually stood up, adrenaline racing through her veins. How do you know that?

My dear, the voice almost chuckled, I can see everything that goes through your mind.

That's not creepy at all.

It's merely for the sake of protecting you, Willow. You're rather important to the wizarding world.

Willow sat herself down, her mind racing. Anything else you wanted to tell me?

Yes. You can transform without extreme emotions. It will take practice.