Year 2: Chapter 12

The next day, Willow woke up the boys. Oliver realized he had fallen asleep on Cypress's shoulder and quickly sat up straight, almost acting embarrassed. Cypress, as was to be expected, woke up and teased Oliver for it. Harry simply groaned and fell off the couch. Willow tried not to laugh as he got up, but with his glasses askew and his hair a complete mess, it was hard not to. She and Oliver returned Cypress to the Slytherin common room, then set off to print out the photographs of the prank.

"Are you sure this isn't a bit overkill?" Oliver asked. "He is a narcissist, but he might lose his fans for this."

"Trust me, Oliver, he won't be losing any fans," Willow reassured him, gathering up all the printed photos. "If anything, they'll come flocking to him to reassure him of their loyalty. Thanks for thinking about him, though. I need a Hufflepuff's consciousness of other people's feelings."

Oliver sheepishly smiled. "You're welcome."

They started in the Great Hall since nobody was there yet, covering every square inch of the bulletin board. Then, they moved into the main corridors, stringing them together and hanging them from the ceiling in a lovely array. Oliver stuck a few to the walls while Willow transformed into a sparrow to reach the higher places. They quietly snuck into the library to place a few on the bookshelves, then went to Lockhart's classroom and posted as many as they possibly could to his door. Willow and Oliver shared a high-five and returned to the Great Hall just in time for breakfast- and to see everyone laughing and pointing at the photos. Only a handful of girls, which Willow assumed were his fanatics, appeared sad and rather down when they caught sight of them. Harry loved the shift in attention.

"What are you going to call them? There has to be a name for this series of photos," he said.

"How about 'The Gallery of Lockhart's Demise'?" Ron suggested. "'Fall of the False'? 'Photos of a Phony'?"

"Hmm, maybe that's a bit harsh, but I like where you're going with it," Willow said. "I just can't wait to see Lockhart's reaction."

She got her wish. Lockhart entered the Great Hall, slack-jawed and defeated-looking. He pulled down his hat as much as possible to hide his face. A lot of people snickered and pointed. Fred, George, and Paige celebrated with Willow. She noticed Paige was back to her usual self. Hopefully she had sorted out that little blip in her love life.

After breakfast was finished, there was a mad rush of girls to comfort Lockhart, which made him feel a little better. Fred and George booed off to the side where Lockhart couldn't hear them. Willow headed back to the common room, Oliver in tow, and slipped into the secret room. They found Griffin awake and rearing to go.

"Hey, easy there, boy!" Willow said. "Can you sit for me? Sit!" Griffin sat. "Lay down!" He laid down. "Roar!" Griffin jumped to his feet and screeched. "Good boy!"

Willow gave him a half pound of bacon she had "rescued" from being thrown away at breakfast. Griffin squeaked excitedly and dove on the bacon, obediently leaving a single piece for V, who took it and ate it within three bits. Both animals had developed a taste for bacon, especially chewy and fatty bacon. Willow was happy to make sure none went to waste at breakfast anymore. Felicity and Patch were just eating their own breakfasts of wood lice and daises, respectively. Fidget jumped out of Willow's robes and ran up to Felicity. The jobberknoll flapped his wings and pushed some wood lice to Fidget. They happily shared their favourite breakfast.

"They're all getting along really well, aren't they?" Oliver observed.

"They are. I'm glad for it, too, because I really didn't want to deal with fighting creatures," Willow said. "That reminds me- you're staying here for the Holidays, right?"