Summer of Year 2: Chapter 3

The sky was just beginning to lighten in the east. Willow breathed in the sweet morning air, the humidity already present. It was going to be hot later that day. There was a promise of rain in the heavy clouds hanging overhead. She could smell the amount of moisture in the air. It was not her favorite kind of weather, but she was overdo for a cloudy morning. Her mood was back to plummeting through the ground.

No one else would probably get up for a while. She was guaranteed at least an hour of alone time, which is exactly what she needed. Willow absentmindedly grew a few small sprouts. In the back of her mind, she was still worried about how the Smith twins and Paige would react to her keeping this secret from them. If she ended up destroying their friendship because of this one secret, she would be devastated. Willow couldn't even remember how she made it through each day without her friends from Hogwarts before she turned eleven. All she could remember was the pain.

The sun was rising fast, turning the clouds blood red. It reminded her of her injuries from the previous night. Willow examined her knuckles, noting how they were nearly healed already, leaving only light bruises behind. She was still amazed by how extensive her powers were, and how powerful they were shaping up to be. They were quite plausibly the only reason she had survived her first year at Hogwarts. Pulling through the first near-death experience was one thing, but living through the second one...that was very lucky. She probably wouldn't get that kind of luck again, knowing how bad hers usually was.

Willow's emotions were growing stronger by the day. She was tired of keeping them down, exhausted from how many secrets she was keeping. It seemed like she was straining herself to the max every day in order to hide herself from the piercing gaze of the world. She was frustrated that she couldn't simply tell everyone about her powers. She could help, help protect innocent people like the Smith twins. Willow didn't see the big deal in making sure they stayed hidden. She wasn't in danger because of them, as far as she knew. No one was. She could control them, and they'd never had lethal tendencies. There was nothing wrong with them. For the time being, she'd listen to her father and keep them hidden. But the moment she could expose them, she would not hold back.

I've already told you, the voice lady scolded. It's very dangerous to release that information. Knowledge of your powers, in the wrong hands, could spill too much innocent blood.

Willow sighed. I know, it's just frustrating. I wish you would hurry up and tell me what this is all about. You promised that you would reveal yourself and give me a little bit to ponder. Aren't I ready for that yet?

You are, but are you sure you're ready for me to reveal myself?

Yeah, unless it's immediately going to kill me.

Alright, you need to stay out of sight for this. Others might panic if they see you talking to my physical form in your backyard. I don't remembering anyone telling you that I'm invited.

Oh, shut up already.

Willow's pulse quickened with excitement, despite the attitude she was displaying. She thrust her hands upward to grow a small, secluded ring of trees and shrubs around her. No one stirred inside the house. Willow tried to calm herself down, but she was so excited about the sudden change of events that it was impossible. She was about to learn some more! Maybe it would help her state of mind, put her at ease. She could only hope.

Ready? the voice lady asked.

Ready, Willow immediately replied.

She gasped as her body shivered with a chill that she didn't feel. It felt like someone was drawing all the energy out of her body in one go. A silvery light covered her eyes, then there was a bright flash, and Willow stumbled. She wanted to scream, though not in pain or fear. Then there was the weirdest sensation- as if something was being yanked out of her, something attached with super glue- and it was gone. Willow realized she had closed her eyes. When she forced them open, she gaped in awe.