Year 2: Chapter 11

Unfortunately, Willow and Oliver arrived too late.

Harry was already descending from Dumbledore's office by the time they reached him. He appeared thoroughly troubled, but appeared better than Willow had expected. His mind was clouded with a lot of both light and dark thoughts.

"Harry! Wait up!" Willow called.

Harry jumped. "Merlin's beard, Willow, you scared me half to death! What are you doing here?"

"We heard you were at the scene of the attack! What is it with you and awful luck lately? First accidentally speaking Parseltongue, and now this...I'd swear someone's trying to set you up."

"You don't think I did it?" Harry asked. He shook his head. "Sorry, that was a dumb question. I've got a lot on my mind."

"I'd expect you to!" Willow stepped to the side to let Oliver walk in between them. "Harry, this is Oliver. Oliver, Harry. I don't think you two have met before. Oliver's the best Hufflepuff of them all."

"Nice to meet you," Harry said.

Oliver tried to clam up, but Willow shot him a look and gestured towards Harry, and he finally said, "Nice to meet you too."

"Oliver's the friend I've been talking about that looks almost just like you, Harry," Willow explained. "He definitely doesn't have the taste for danger you do, though, and hopefully we can keep it that way."

Harry took in Oliver's similarly coloured hair and eyes. "Huh. You could almost pass as a sibling of mine. It's a good thing you're not, though. You don't need every single student taking aim at you, too."

Oliver sheepishly smiled. "Thanks."

"So, what happened up in Dumbledore's office?" Willow asked, steering the conversation back on track. "Did he give you some sort of punishment? You don't look devastated, so I'm assuming you didn't get expelled."

"No, none at all," Harry said. "Just extra suspicion and a lot of questions."

"Good," Willow sighed. "I would have raised heck if you got punishment. You've never hurt a fly. Anyone with a brain can see that. Unfortunately, half the school has no brain."

"They do say wizards don't have a ounce of logic."

"I'm living proof of that," Willow chuckled. "Don't count that against me, Oliver, it was just a joke! I'm still following Sally's challenge, promise!"

They rounded a corner and entered the Great Hall, where everyone was gathering for lunch. At the sight of Harry, students that were on their feet practically sprinted out of his way, clearing a path to the Gryffindor table. Younger students cowered in fear. Some older students brandished their wands from under their tables, and a good number of people slid down farther on the benches to get away. Willow wanted to scream at them all for being so stupid. Harry had done nothing! They were all acting upon an unfounded fear! She forced it down, though, and with Oliver in tow, she followed Harry to their usual spot at the end of the Gryffindor table. None of their other friends were there yet.

"So, Oliver, I know you're shy, but are you willing to talk?" Harry asked. "I don't get to meet many new people anymore, especially with this new Chamber of Secrets thing."

Oliver paused, momentary fear flickering through his eyes. Then, after glancing at Willow for support, he forced it down and nodded, somehow managing to look Harry right in the eyes.

"I can talk."

Harry smiled gratefully. "Thanks. Um...what do you like to do during the summer?"

"Mostly reading at the library or helping out at the local animal shelter," Oliver replied. "I like to get out as much as possible."

"I've heard you live your grandparents, and they aren't the nicest of people, right?" Oliver nodded. "I know what that's like. My aunt and uncle are the meanest Muggles you'll ever meet, and Dudley- he's the worst sort of Muggle kid. He's always been a sort of bully to me, but it never will compare to Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia. They're downright foul. I have to clean the house all the time. Thankfully, having magical powers scares them into giving me some space, but before, it was like they thought I was their slave or something."