Year 3: Chapter 11

"Peter Pettigrew! My- ugh, I haven't told you his story yet!" Sirius said.

Willow gasped "Wait, he's dead! Peter Pettigrew has been dead for twelve years! Why the hell are you going after Peter if he's dead, Sirius? You could have been captured for nothing!"

"He's not dead!" Sirius protested.

"And you brought your knife!" Willow shrilled, ignoring an exasperated Sirius. "I told you that was for defensive purposes only! What were you doing in the castle with your knife? You could have hurt someone!"

"I'd like to believe I have a little more skill than clumsiness with my knife..." Sirius muttered moodily. At a look from Willow, he stood up straight and cleared his throat. "But that's beside the point! Peter Pettigrew is- contrary to popular belief- very much alive, and he's running around the castle day and night!"

Willow stared at Sirius. "Have you gone mental?"

"What- no! Trust me, you would know by now if I'd gone mental! Look- " Sirius sighed, dragging his hands down his face. "This sounds crazy, but hear me out, because this definitely isn't the craziest thing in the wizarding world. When I take the form of my animagus, I can chat with certain other animals- say, cats, dogs, and werewolves if I get the chance- to entertain myself. Well, the other day, an orange, burly cat came running at me, and I thought it was going to attack me, but instead, he decided to introduce himself. He said his name was Crookshanks, and he lived in Gryffindor Tower. His owner is Hermione- ha, I said it right!- and he told me all about what's been going on in the Tower- "

"WHAT?!" Willow shrieked. "You were talking with Crookshanks? That is SO not fair! I've been trying to get that stupid cat to talk to me for ages, and he won't budge!"

Sirius scoffed. "Everyone wants to talk to me, don't take it personally. Do you know Hermione or something?"

"Of course I do! She's one of my best friends!" Willow half-shouted.

Sirius raised his eyebrows. "Wow. Plot twist! Anyway...Crookshanks told me all about Hermione at first, that she's the brightest witch of her age, that she's so kind, but she takes too many classes, so she doesn't pay enough attention to him, etc. Then, he told me about this peculiar rat. Crookshanks went on and on about how he'd been trying to eat this rat for some time because there was something off about it. I know you don't think too highly of Hermione's cat, Willow, but that Crookshanks is something special. He has kneazle blood in his veins, which means he's related to a magical small cat breed that can detect suspicious and untrustworthy people."

Willow smirked. "So why would Crookshanks talk with you, of all people?"

Sirius rolled his eyes. "I appreciate the sarcasm, I really do. I'll continue, if that's allowed in your personal schedule, please...so Crookshanks told me about this rat. He said that this rat was ridiculously suspicious. It belongs to someone called Ron Weasley. I don't think Ron knows what kind of danger he's in, Willow, which is why I tried to get rid of it sooner rather than later."

"Wait, why would Ron be in danger?" Willow questioned.

Sirius wrung his hands. "Well...long story short, Peter Pettigrew is an animagus, just like me- and you'll never guess what his animagus form is."

Willow's stomach dropped. The blood froze in her veins. "A rat."

Sirius nodded gravely. "Exactly. What's more, Crookshanks told me that the rat is considerably old for a common rodent, about twelve years old, and what's more, he's missing a toe."

Willow's eyes widened. "All that they found of Peter was- "

"A finger," Sirius affirmed. "Don't you see? Peter's been hiding among a common wizarding family for twelve long years, waiting for his chance to escape and help Voldemort return to power. He's a bloody coward."