6. Monster

I had a dream last night.

In my dream I was older, more mature and much more beautiful. I looked like what I have always dreamt of looking like, tall, slender with beautiful curves. I was at a gathering. The pack was there. I was in black. They were all in black too. There was a strange heaviness in the air. I knew what was going on. It was her funeral. I was sad. She was a beautiful, soft-spoken woman. I liked her, she was my new friend.

I was sad but he was the one who lost the one thing most precious to him. I had to be there for him. When all the guests left, I saw him sitting against a tree with his back faced to the crowd. I walked up to him and rested my hand softly on his quivering shoulder. He twisted his neck to look up at me, his eyes bloodshot. My heart tugged at that. I sat down next to him. He placed his head on my shoulder and cried for her. I cried with him. I cried for him.

Daniel Wood had just lost his mate.

.

.

.

You know what they say about humans? They say that if you give a human your finger to hold, they grab the entire hand. Humans are greedy. Does that make me a human? But are humans as evil as me?

The past week was the best days of my life. Dan made extra effort to talk to me even if the conversation was mostly about my education. He didn't avoid me in a group; he smiled at me every time we bumped into each other at the hallways. We actually played basketball together with the other Wood brothers. We had a bike race, which he let me win. It was more than I ever dreamt of. 

That's all he did, he gave me a finger to hold. But I wasn't satisfied. I just had to go ahead and ruin it. He has ten fingers so that makes me one out of ten and I didn't like the idea of that. I want to grab both of his hands in mine and never let another person near him.

That's why they warn you not to be kind to strangers. One week of him looking at me, talking to me, sparing me some of his attention and I already don't want to let go.

I dreamt of his mate's funeral in my dream. I dreamt of some miracle taking her away.

I'm a monster.

I felt nausea hit me as soon as the sleepy haze cleared. I rushed to the washroom and emptied my stomach. But the disgust for my own soul had me shaking. I wiped the hot tears flowing down my face before stumbling towards the faucet. I hungrily slapped my face with the cold water hoping to get rid of the memory. I managed to block everything out for a second but it all came undone when I raised my head and came face to face with the mirror. The memory of me sitting next to him with his head on my shoulder came crashing down. Bile rose up my stomach as I met my own ugly gaze in the mirror.

I gritted my jaws together before throwing my fist at the mirror. It shattered in the middle before the broken pieces went tumbling down the floor.

I want to cry out loud but with a house full of supernaturals, it's not a luxury you can afford. My hazy mind quickly took me to the window of my room. I effortlessly jumped out of the first floor into the patio before making a sprint for the forest. I want to be the farthest I can be.

To my bad luck, I heard voices chasing after me at the edge of the forest.

"Don't" I yelled at them but didn't stop.

I was deep into the forest when a hand firmly pulled me back by my arm. I struggled against the pull but of course he was stronger.

"Let go" I yelled as I turned to face Dan, still struggling against his hold.