14. The Lake

Mom's back. She'll be with me for the rest of the months. Dad and Alex will visit as much as possible. Alex will probably take the last month off. I requested Aunt Eva to let us rent an apartment here, we obviously can't buy the pack's lands but she wouldn't have it. They kept on insisting that it was no bother and that I would be better taken care among a house full of experienced people. I guess I'm okay with it but Alex will be uncomfortable in staying so long with people he doesn't know.

The pack informed mom of the accident involving Dan's wolf as soon as she walked in against my insistence that they shouldn't.

"Do you want to go back?" mom asked me once we were alone in the confines of my room.

"I'm thinking about it" I told her honestly "What do you think I should do?"

My mom looked at me like I was the stupidest person she ever met "Have you ever heard of a prey staying at the predator's den to decide whether or not it's safe there?"

I barked out a laugh "You're right" I shook my head at how easy my mom made it "It's not a predator's den for me"

She nodded "You trust them and it's natural to do so. They are family Anna. I know Dan isn't affectionate like the others but he cares about you as much he cares about Luc. Don't ever think he will do anything to hurt you"

"You like him" I observed. There are a very few people my mom cares about and to think that she likes him this much is astounding.

"He's the son we never had. I don't know when it started getting this way but he grew on me" she smiled fondly at what's most probably a memory "One fine day I suddenly realized I was proud of him like a parent would be" she sighed and shook her head "They told me he's been behaving different of late. I hope things change for good now"

"They think he's found his mate" I informed her.

Mom nodded "Eva told us. He deserves to be happy" she said "He has waited so long and so patiently for his happiness that it would have been cruel to not let him finally have what's his"

I couldn't agree more.

_______

I was sitting in the family room bored out of mind, watching television when Ethan walked in. I yawned as I waved at him. He grinned and walked up to me.

"And they say vampires don't sleep" he commented "You are either sleeping or halfway there whenever I come by"

"Oops! Did I bring shame to my community?" I said yawning wider this time.

He laughed "Get your lazy ass up" he said pushing me gently "The boss has called for you"

"The papers are done?" I raised a brow.

"Yeah" he nodded "We got them done last night"

"Thank you" I smiled "I'll just wait for mom and we can go to the Alpha together"

Ethan shook his head "Your mom's paperwork will be done soon. You can come with me. We just need some signatures and he'll be asking some standard questions about your stay. The other visitors get interrogated but for you it's just a formality" he explained.

I shrugged "Let's go" I said as I stood up and stretched in my comfortable sweatpants. Seriously if anything, motherhood has made me a savage. I don't even care to dress up anymore, it's so much work.

Ethan frowned at me "Like this?"

"It's just you" I smiled pleadingly "Can't I go like this?"

"It's an office Anna" he chuckled "It's not just Dan and I who work there, there are other office workers. People legitimately dress up for hours to visit the Alpha office. You have no idea how flowery our office smells all the time thanks to all the expensive perfumes the women visitors wear. You should at least try to look presentable if you don't want your application to be rejected. The reason cited will be mental instability"