37. Worthy of the truth.

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves as the large wooden door opened. I had been living here for almost two years. It's weird to enter the place that still holds your scent and your clothes but doesn't have a place for you in its warmth.

"Oh my God! Anna" Kate shrieking face came into view "What the f*ck have you been doing? Alex is behaving like the devil's incarnation" I opened my mouth to reply but she wasn't done yet "He is rotting away in that study of his" she pointed upstairs "and he refuses to talk to us and he threatened us against contacting you. What the hell is going on?"

"Hey Kate" I tried to smile but failed "I wasn't expecting you here"

"Mom was worried about him so she sent me to spy on him. We would have contacted you if things continued this way. I was here to confirm that" She pulled me in "How is my little Hazel?"She excitedly put her hand on my bump.

"She is doing well. And don't let your brother hear you. You know he's superstitious about uttering her name before she's here" I reminded her. Alex's mom believes that for the child to have a happy and healthy arrival, we need to stop uttering her name so the evil spirits don't hear it. Alex doesn't really believe it but he will do anything if it ensures the little one's safety.

"Sorry" She took a step back "Is everything okay between you guys?"

"Your brother will let you know when he's ready to share it" I smiled grimly as I moved towards the stairs.

"Did....did he do something bad?" she asked when I was almost at the top of the staircase.

"No. I did something unforgivable Kate" I told her over my shoulder

.

"Did the animal follow you here too?" he asked as soon as the door of his study closed behind me. He probably heard me arrive.

"How have you been doing" I asked taking the state he was in.

"You look perfectly happy" he countered standing up from his chair to walk towards me.

"I'm not a human. No matter what, I'll always look perfect to the human eyes" I explained.

He gritted his jaws together "I don't need to hear that"

"Can we sit and talk Alex? I have a lot to say and my feet are kind of swollen"

He immediately looked concerned "Is she okay?" he pointed at the couch.

"She's doing fine" I assured taking a seat "Thank you for seeing me. Luc tried hard to make this happen"

"Is he here?" he repeated ignoring my comment.

"I asked him not to" I replied.

"But he followed you anyways?"

"His men followed me" I agreed.

"I'll call the cops"

"Don't" I said quickly "He just wants to know that I'm doing well and because I'm not talking to him, this is the only way he can keep his sanity"

"You care a lot about his sanity" He barked out sarcastically "I thought it was a bloody affair"

"That's why I'm here Alex. We need to talk. I know I forced you into this world and for that I have no excuse. I was selfish and I ruined your life in the process. I can't undo what I've already done but I don't want to keep repeating my mistakes. I want to give you the whole story so you can make your choices without my interference"

"Why didn't you tell me all these years. Why now?"

"To begin with, we aren't allowed to tell our prospective partners unless we are sure about wanting them in our lives forever. So I couldn't tell you until I was sure I loved you and wanted to spend the rest of my life with you. That's what anyone else in my place would have done. That's the standard procedure. Had it been anyone else, you would have known my identity five years ago. But that wasn't my only reason to not tell you. I had no intention of telling you about my nature ever"