11. The Unexpected Welcome

"I don't understand" Alex complained "We can get you the best doctors here"

"You will be there on weekends, you know" I snuggled closer to him "It will be like a vacation. Bluewood is really beautiful"

"But why there? I've heard that they don't let outsiders in. It's a protected town. In fact the entire forest area and the towns around it are banned from visitors. Dad tried to acquire land there a couple of years ago. He said the mayor wouldn't even listen to him" he frowned.

"Uncle Liam was the mayor a few years ago and he owns the hospital. You met him once at my dad's place didn't you? He attended our wedding too" I tried to ease his worries.

"Yeah but that's a town hospital. How could that compete to the one we have here?" he argued.

"Bluewood is like my second home Alex" I ran my hand through his hair "I'm comfortable there. You'll see when we arrive, the hospital, Uncle Liam has put his life's work in it. But just like the town, the hospital is also only for the locals. So you didn't hear of it" I looked at him with a grin "But the fun part is that I get a discount because my parents are friends with the mayor's family"

He rolled his eyes "Look at you shamelessly accepting Nepotism"

I stuck my tongue out at him.

_____________

I clenched and unclenched my fists to release the tension in my body as dad drove the four of us into Bluewood. Mom took the passenger seat leaving me and Alex to ourselves.

Alex squeezed my hand in his "Are you okay? You look nervous"

"Yeah" I breathed out with a forced smile "It's just been a while"

He passed me the water "Drink this. Stress isn't good for you"

"You worry too much" I smiled at him "We are fine" I involuntarily ran my hand over my belly.

"It's just the beginning," Dad spoke up "he will have to worry for the rest of his life. Having a child does that to people"

"I'm ready for it" Alex replied confidently "I'll try my best to be as good a parent as you are" he told dad "I want my relationship with my daughter to be like one Anna shares with you. I want her to know that no matter what, I'll always be there for her"

"You will make a wonderful father" I supported my head on his shoulder "Why else do you think I married you?"

"Because I'm handsome?" He offered.

"Good" mom said "If you do that then my daughter will know the pain I feel when she gangs up with her dad against me"

"Oh please mom!" I rolled my eyes "It's not my fault. You should have had more kids. Do you know how burdensome it is to have no one to share your responsibilities with?"

Mom scoffed "We'll see"

"We are having a football team right?" I asked Alex.

"I like football" he nodded.

"See" I smirked suggestively at mom. She burst out laughing.

"Are you okay now?" Dad asked.

"Yeah I feel better" I smiled at him.

"Good, because we are here" he said. My smile fell immediately.

"Wow! You weren't kidding Anna" Alex said looking out of the window "This place is freakishly beautiful"