39. Half a Victory.

Anna:

I felt the nervousness to the tip of my fingers as Luc drove me towards Bluewood. So much has changed in the past months. I never knew someone could suddenly become the centre of my universe until Hazel came to me. She's five months old now and is thankfully much faster than I was at her age. I knew she was going to be fine when Alex's family didn't notice anything odd about her. She's all human. She doesn't even crave blood. She loves nipping Alex all over with her toothless gums though. Alex was scared the first time around but soon started looking forward to it. Mom thinks it's Hazel's way of telling him that she knows his blood and who he is to her. I don't think at this point Alex would mind her draining his body off blood. She has him wrapped around her little pinkie and she knows it.

Alex and I have settled on a routine. We bought two adjacent houses for us to take better care of Hazel. It was Luc's suggestion but I somehow doubt it was his idea. Alex is mostly fine with everything until I bring up divorce to him. He thinks avoiding talking about it will somehow fix everything. Over the past months taking care of Hazel and trying to convince Alex were the only works that took precedence in my life. But he refused to listen to me and the time I asked from Dan is up now and I failed to resolve our separation peacefully. Dad's lawyer is already preparing to take it to the court but he says we have a weak case and I wouldn't probably like the outcome with Alex's team working so hard on his case. Hazel's dependence on me is perhaps the only thing that could work in our favor and was probably the reason Alex is delaying the inevitable.

When Luc pulled the car to a stop at the edge of Bluewood I stopped sulking over my problems. Bluewood is a whole different challenge. I didn't think Alex would react so violently about bringing Hazel with me but he did. He told me he didn't want his daughter anywhere near the beasts and their land. I had no choice but to leave Hazel with him. I stocked about two days of milk for Hazel in the freezer before leaving. It's harder than I thought it would be to not see her for a couple of days.

"Uh Anna" Luc dragged my attention to him "Alpha wants you to walk from here" he said nodding toward the beginning of the forest.

My stomach clenched as an intoxicating essence hit me sharp "He's here" I muttered.

"Yes" Luc scratched the back of his head "You will be fine. He isn't angry at you. I'll be right behind once I put the car away"

"There are others too" I said ignoring his words. I'm not afraid of meeting Dan again, far from it but what are the others doing here?

"Don't mind them. They were eager to see you" he said pushing open his door.

I didn't have the time to counter him because in that instant nothing mattered more than the magnificent man walking out of the forest with purposeful steps towards me. My breath hitched, eyes taking in all they could in that short moment before I found myself pushing the passenger side of the door open and striding towards him.

My feet didn't stop until his warmth was close enough to touch my skin. I could hear his heartbeat taking the lead and mine simply followed him. We looked at each other waiting for our hearts to align themselves, his to slow down, mine to match up.

His hand found mine and every inch of my skin rose in attention when he threaded our fingers together his green eyes never leaving mine.

I parted my lips but before the words could leave them; his free hand was curled around my mouth stopping me.

He brought his face closer to mine, almost kissing the back of his own hand "You forgot the deal love" he whispered "You aren't allowed to utter a word"

I tightened my grip on his hand in frustration and narrowed my eyes at him before letting my fangs do the talking. I bit him hard on his palm drawing blood. He winched but didn't move if anything his grip tightened. I smiled against his hand as I watched his eyes widen when I stared licking at his blood before his wounds could heal themselves. His eyes darkened and I could swear mine didn't look any better.