21. The Elder's Tale

Dan:

"This place gives me creeps" Ethan complained out loud from the passenger seat of my car.

We are at Lakefound and are on our way to visit an elder. I couldn't talk to anyone from my pack or the ones in our neighbourhood about my situation. Words spread fast. Since my people think I found my mate in Lakefound, they will probably assume I'm here to visit her.

"I don't remember begging you to follow my tail" I looked at him pointedly.

"I couldn't have left you alone, Alpha. What if you ran away again" he replied gingerly

"Ouch! I sound like a coward when you put it that way"

"It's good that you realize" he said "She didn't run away you know" he cocked an angry brow at me "She stayed there and decided to face the storm you threw her way"

"Is that why she's avoiding me for the past week like I caught some infectious human disease?" I hit back.

"Give her some time. She managed to keep the human away for a week didn't she?" he defended her "She cares about your pain"

I have to admit he's right. But that gives me no relief, it's not like she's keeping him away to bring me closer. No she's on a full on avoidance mode. My wolf's getting impatient. He doesn't like the uncertainty.

"Should I like get him into a minor.....like a really minor accident?" I wondered out loud.

"Don't even go there" Ethan warned.

"It can be really minor you know, one that will maybe break his legs for a couple of months. A couple of months should be enough for us to settle the situation"

"It would have been convenient, Alpha" Ethan agreed "But we can't do that"

"Did you at least warn her?" I asked eagerly.

"I did" he nodded "Being a messenger for the two of you has become a full time job for me. You should consider paying me"

"What did you say?" I want to know if she got my message loud and clear.

He sighed "Dan said the next time the man touches you, he's not going to run off to hunt animals; he'll hunt a particular human instead" he mimicked.

"Why did you say 'run off'" I glared at him.

He shrugged.

"Did she buy it?" I asked.

"She looked quiet scared. I guess Luc couldn't keep his runny mouth close. He must have spilled some of your deeds. She expects you to see through your threats"

"Good" I nodded in satisfaction "If its Luc then there's not much he could have said. That boy was born dumb"

"Yeah! I should have opened my mouth instead" Ethan muttered under his breath.

I ignored him "We are here" I pointed at the one story house almost hidden behind large creepers that covered all of its walls.

.

We walked up the few steps up the front porch and knocked on the ancient door.

"How old is she again?" I asked Ethan.

"Not much, Alpha Adrian said it was a hundred and sixty something." he replied "Our elder Beth easily wins over her"

"She does, doesn't she?" came a new voice as the door squeaked open to reveal a petite woman smiling up at us "And that is why I was wondering what the Alpha and Beta of Bluewood want from me when they have such efficient people in their own pack"