Chapter Ten: Field Trip

Theres nothing like doing the walk of shame in a classroom filled with over a hundred students. I had quietly tried to slip in the back but stealth only went so far when your seat was more towards the front of the room. I had managed to slip into it and next to Jade without meeting the eyes of my classmates, but I felt like there were eyes burning into the back of my head. It was kind of obvious I was wearing last nights clothes; my dress and shoes a little to formal for class, my hair pulled back into a messy ponytail. I ignored them, though, being faced with my next problem: Jade. She hadnt said a word to me, let alone even look at me, the entire time I had been there. And although I wished I could ignore her too, I realized that in my hasty rush to get here, that I didnt have a damn thing with me. I sighed, turning to her, "could I borrow a pen and some paper?"

She froze, her hand stopping mid sentence in the note she was taking. Without looking at me she spoke in a tone that was slightly raised, "oh. So youre talking to me again I see." A few heads turned in our direction and I met the eyes of my classmate before turning back to her. "Jade please, not now."

"Not now? Not now!? When do you plan on hashing this out with me, Lor?" Her head had snapped up, angry eyes meeting mine as her voice grew louder and louder. "Is it going to be before or after you run out with that guy again? Before or after you leave me wondering where the hell you were?" I sat there stunned, Jade's voice rising higher and higher the longer she spoke. More and more of our classmates had turned to look at us and I felt my cheeks go pink. "Jade-"

"I was worried sick about you! You just left without a word and then you dont come home!? And then I wake up and youre still not back! I had no idea where you were or what had happened to you! You didnt call me, or text me! Your phone was off so I couldnt get a hold of you! And then youre late to class and asking me to borrow my things as if nothings wrong!?" I was speechless, sitting there stunned. Jades anger was rolling off of her in a way I so rarely saw and I didnt know what to say. She was right of course but it hadnt occurred to me to call last night and this morning was a bit of a blur. It was then that I noticed the classroom had gone quiet around us and I glanced around, completely embarrassed.

"Ladies, I dont know if you realize theres a class going on but if you plan on continuing to disrupt it Im going to have to ask you to leave." Our professor spoke up, breaking through my frozen exterior. I glanced at Jade and she had turned away from me again, writing notes once more as she responded to the teacher. "Apologies, professor. That'll be all."

Class resumed and I sat there completely miserable. Jade hadnt given me anything to take notes with so I could only sit and listen to our instructor, although I could barely do that. She was furious with me and now about something that was completely reasonable. Our fight before seemed stupid in comparison. She had every right to be upset, I should have called. Had I been in her position and I had a few times, I would have reacted the same way. I decided that after class I would graciously apologize for everything, but when class ended Jade took off, leaving me sitting there as the rest of the class stared and whispered.

I eventually went back to our dorm, hoping to catch her there, but ending up disappointed as I was greeted with an empty apartment. I sighed, defeated, and headed to my room, throwing my stuff down on the bed. I felt tired and mentally berated. Deciding I didnt want to stick around, I grabbed my shower things and headed to the communal washroom.

After my shower, Jade still wasnt back, even though I knew she didnt have any other classes for the rest of the day. She was avoiding me and that hurt. I got dressed, feeling numb. Jade and I didnt fight often but I hated it when we did, not having a friend to talk to was like losing a limb; I didnt know how to function without one and in turn ended up feeling utterly alone. I wasnt working tonight and had no more classes for the rest of the day and although I knew I should probably try to catch up on some work, I honestly didnt think Id get far with the state of mind I was in. I felt as if I might cry with how frustrated I was. I didnt know what I was supposed to do, it was a little past noon. Theoretically, Jade would have to come back eventually, but how long was that going to take? I was conflicted; did I wait for Jade? Or go out and try to take my mind off things?