Chapter Thirty: Sacrafice

Her lips turned up in a sarcastic smirk and she cocked the gun, causing me to flinch. "Hello, Lorelai. Its so nice to see you again." Her eyes were wild, her hair unkept and wild around her face. She wore black leggings and black sweatshirt. "Youre the one who attacked me?" I whispered. My mind was racing and I forced myself to stay calm. There was a gun pointed at my chest and one wrong turn could lead to my end. I needed to get the gun away from her but I couldnt focus, my mind distracted bu the object of death in front of me and the fact that she still hadnt mentioned anything about Lucifer. For all I knew he was dead somewhere.  She smiled a cruel and twisted smile, causing my stomach to seize. "Yes, that was so much fun. Especially when you taunted me about your engagement to Lucifer." She tsk'ed shaking her head and cocking it to one side. "Such a mean thing to lie about too."

"How did you know it was a lie?" I whispered, horrified. This wasnt just some jealous ex, this was a psychotic serial killer. Mandy was someone capable of not only murder, but evasion as well, meaning she was smart enough to think a few steps ahead. "No ring, sweetheart. Im not an idiot." Of course, I internally groaned. We had been quick to flaunt our pretend engagement, but not smart enough to think that the lack of a ring might be an issue. "After your charade," she continued, voice teetering slightly. Her eyes glazed over as if she was reliving the events instead of just remembering them. "I was so angry. Lucifer belongs to me and here you thought you could just claim he was yours."

"So I followed you home and waited. And waited and waited. And then, you almost made it too easy for me. Who leaves in the middle of the night? In a dark parking lot no less?" She threw her head back and cackled a maniacal laughter that chilled me to the bone. "You were so easy. No fight in you! It almost wasnt any fun, but seeing you there all broken and bloody, that was comfort enough."

"Why didnt you kill me?" I hissed. She spoke as if we were old friends, reminiscing over a past girls night. It sparked something in me, something I hadnt felt in a long time. Anger and life. I tried to hold onto it, feel that emotion pull my broken spirit back together, enough so that I could clear my mind and focus. Maze had taught me to defend myself and Id be damned if Id go down without a fight; not this time. "Killing you would have been too easy, I wanted you to suffer," she hissed. She took a step forward, eyes narrowed. I stepped back and dropped my hands, fists clenching at my sides. "Why?"

"Because Lucifer belongs to me. And none of you deserved him!" She took another step forward and this time I raised my hands, slipping into the fighting stance that Maze had painstakingly drilled into me. I was already sizing her up, trying to find her weak spots and figuring out how to exploit them. She took in my newfound resolved and chuckled. "Sweetheart youll have a bullet through your skull before you lay a finger on me."

"Then why not kill me now?" I hissed. I took a step forward, knowing this was a risk, but Id be damned if she just shot me. She took a step back, caught off guard but recovering quickly and narrowing her eyes in fury. "Because, I want him to see me send the light out of your eyes. He needs to watch you die!" She shouted. "Who!?" But she never answered, the elevator ringing and sliding open distracting us both. My eyes moved there automatically and my breath caught in my throat as Lucifer strode into the apartment.

It had only been ten days since I had last seen him, but it felt like an eternity. My eyes drank him in, thirsty for the sight of him like being deprived from water for too long. He was glorious of course, wearing all black, his hair styled neatly. I felt the love I held for him explode inside of me, soon being crushed by the memories of his rejection. The sight of him, however, had been a distraction and in that mere moment I wasnt paying attention, Mandy had jumped away from me, grabbing me roughly and pulling me into her. She held the gun to my temple, pressing it roughly into my skull while the other arm held me across the chest. I struggled from her grasp, but she was strong, stronger than I realized.