Chapter 3: Conversation on a Train

What is the feelin' takin' over?

Thinkin' no one could open my door

Surprise, It's time

To feel what's real

What happened to Miss Independent?

No more the need to be defensive

Goodbye, old you

When love is true

Kelly Clarkson-Miss Independent

Cassie let out a sigh of relief as she walked out of the school and into the street, on her way to the train station. She usually comes home with her brother C.J., but he had new responsibilities as the school's co-captain of the basketball team, so he had to stay back to hold tryouts, much to Cassie's dismay. Today was really an underwhelming day, despite Simone and Ashley's assault on her. Thankfully, Simone wasn't in any of her classes, except that Ashley was in both her social studies and gym class, unfortunately. Ashley was just a lapdog and isn't worth a damn to Cassie. But Cassie was very careful to not count her lucky stars, because she'll never know when Simone will strike, and she wasn't bluffing. At least Cassie thinks she wasn't.

As she was halfway close to the subway station, her mind wandered off to none other than Drew Fernandez, the tattooed heartthrob that made all the girls go crazy whenever he walked by. Cassie didn't blame them though, he was really good looking. He was in her trigonometry class, as well as her social studies and English classes. However, Cassie was under the strong impression that Drew was nothing more than a douchebag and full of himself. He looked moody and reserved all throughout the day, but Cassie knew that he loved all the adoration from the girls, like he was all that. Why is he so friendly with someone like me?

She saw the look on his face when they were on the train this morning, she didn't know if it was a look of lust or if he was legitimately smitten by her and wanted to get her attention by helping her out with her stuff being dumped on the ground. But who was she kidding? No boy would be smitten by her. They would be smitten by someone like Simone, who always dressed the best. Cassie looked like a third grader with her overalls.

A tear rolled down her cheek as she went down the stairs to take the Jamaica Center-bound E train to get home. She took out her Green Student Pass Metrocard to get through the turnstiles. As soon as she stepped foot on the platform to wait on the E train as an F train moved out of the station, her eyes were met by none other than Drew, leaning on one of the lime green posts, with a face of somewhat despair. Drew's face lit up as his brown eyes laid on Cassie.

"Hey, Cassie," Drew greeted. "How you doin', you alright?"

"I'm Ok," Cassie replied, uttering a weak smile. "Could be better."

Cassie noticed the look of pity on Drew's face at her reply. But why would he care about her? She mentally shook off those thoughts. She doesn't know a thing about him. It wasn't fair to think this way. Cassie stayed silent before Drew spoke up.

"What do you think of your new classes?" he asked.

"They're cool," Cassie replied. "Except for trig, it's too hard."

"I know, it's like some foreign shit, but the teacher's cool and she looks like she knows her stuff, we'll be fine," Drew reassured.

Cassie smiled a little, much to Drew's apparent delight by the look on his face. At last, the E train pulled into the station. The doors opened, making Cassie and Drew step inside willingly and take seats close to the rear door. The train jerked forward to its next destination. The two stayed silent before Cassie glanced at his shoulder tattoo peeking out of the sleeve of his shirt. She couldn't help but comment on it.