Chapter 22: Date Night

Let's go

Don't wait

This night's almost over

Honest, let's make

This night last forever

Forever and ever

Let's make this last forever

Blink-182-First Date

Two Weeks Later

Drew took a deep breath as he tugged at the collar of his shirt. Today was his date with Cassie and he was feeling a little nervous. He wanted this to be nothing but perfect, in order for this to be one of the best nights of their lives.

He walked up the steps to Cassie's house to the sounds of a loud mix between Jamaican dancehall, West Indian soca, and classic American party songs coming from the next door neighbor's backyard with pink balloons, ornaments, and tables draped with pink plastic tablecloths being set up, leading Drew to believe that a birthday party was going to happen soon. He took a deep breath before ringing the doorbell. He took a moment to compose himself before the door opened to reveal none other than Mr. Phillips. Cassie was right; he really did have a certain youthfulness to his looks without his goatee. He let out a wolf whistle at Drew's appearance.

"Well, aren't you lookin' fancy for my daughter," he commented, sounding impressed.

Drew looked down at his black jeans, his white button-down shirt, and leather shoes.

"Well, since it's a special occasion, I don't want to look less than my best," Drew replied, looking back up at Mr. Phillips.

"Well, come on in and have a seat, the lady's still getting ready, you know how women are," Mr. Phillips said, letting Drew in.

Drew stepped inside to see C.J. in t-shirt and shorts engrossed in the basketball game shown on TV, while Cheyenne was working on something on her laptop. They looked up to see Drew walking in the room, surprised to see him.

"Dayum, Drew, you looking sharp!" C.J. exclaimed.

"You look very nice!" Cheyenne added.

"Thanks," Drew smiled, while sitting down next to C.J. and exchanging handshakes with him. "I wanna look good for Cassie, you know."

"Oh, my God, I totally envy her," Cheyenne whined. "She has a perfect boyfriend!"

"Now, now, honey, don't give up hope," Mr. Phillips spoke up. "You're a smart, beautiful girl, he'll come soon."

Cheyenne then smiled. "Thanks, Daddy."

Drew focused his attention to the basketball game between the Lakers and the Suns in the middle of the second quarter.

"Oh, this was on last night," he commented.

"Yeah, I know, I recorded it, don't spoil it for me," C.J. replied. "I would have watched it live, but somebody had to ruin it for me."

He then glared at Mr. Phillips sitting in a single recliner with a sheepish look on his face.

"I wasn't gonna let you raise up my electricity bill," Mr. Phillips said defensively.

"But if I was using the TV, how was I gonna waste electricity?" C.J. retorted.

"So, Drew," Mr. Phillips started, diverting the conversation while C.J. sucked his teeth. "Tell me, how'd you get your tattoo?"

Drew looked down at his right arm to see the bottom portion of his tattoo peeking out of his short sleeve.

"Well, I saved up all my money while working to support my family after my dad left, and I got this for my eighteenth birthday last year in March," he explained.