Chapter 14: Irreplaceable

Some people want it all

But I don't want nothing at all

If it ain't you baby

If I ain't got you baby

Some people want diamond rings

Some just want everything

But everything means nothing

If I ain't got you

Alicia Keys- If I Ain't Got You

8:30 PM

Cassie opened her eyes to a bright white surface while hearing steady beeping. She felt tubes coming out of her nose and a clip on one of her fingers.

"Oh, my God, she's waking up," she heard a familiar male voice whisper. "Cass, can you hear me, honey?"

Cassie's vision was still a blur, as she saw a silhouette of a man hovering over. As her vision cleared, she realized that it was her father calling for her attention, his face full of concern.

"Daddy?" Cassie spoke up, her voice slurred.

"Hi," he smiled, kissing her hand. "Daddy's here, baby girl."

"W-w-where a-am I?" Cassie asked.

"You're in the hospital, sweetheart," Austin replied.

"Which hospital?"

"Jamaica Hospital."

"Oh," Cassie said. Ugh. "How'd you get here?"

"Your Aunt Maria drove us here."

Cassie then realized everything that had transpired today. "Where is Mom, anyway?" she asked nervously, as her speech perfected.

"Oh, uhh... your mother... she uhh..." Austin stammered out, his eyebrows furrowing. "She had to... use the bathroom, she'll be back soon," he finished quickly, smiling forcefully.

Cassie stared at her father's smiling face blankly. "Daddy, your eyebrows do a certain thing when you're lying," she deadpanned. "Just tell me what really happened, please?"

Austin instantly looked as if his heart sank. "Well, first things first, C.J., Cheyenne, and your tattooed friend told me and your mother everything about the suffering that those awful girls caused you all year," he started. "And uh... it was too much for your mother to take, and she had to be admitted into the hospital 'cause her blood pressure skyrocketed," he explained solemnly.

Cassie immediately felt mortified at this. "Oh, no," she croaked out, as her eyes filled with tears, and easily came down her face.

"No, no, no, baby, don't cry," Austin reassured, kissing her repeatedly, as his thumbs gently wiped away her tears from under her eyes. "Once she heard that you were a-ok, she felt fine and dandy, now they're just double checking her blood pressure to confirm that she's fine and in normal level, that's all."

"Yeah, but it's my fault that Mom's blood pressure went high," Cassie sobbed.

"You have no place to blame yourself, hon," Austin reassured. "Only thing you have to focus on is getting better, and we'll take care of the rest."

Just then, Angie came into the room with a sigh of relief.

"Austin, good news, my blood pressure's finally nor-" she started.

As soon as she saw Cassie awake and alert, Angie's face broadened into a relieved smile.

"Oh, Cassie, you're awake, praise the Lord!" Angie rejoiced, making a beeline for Cassie's bed.