Chapter 12: Cassie's Worst Nightmare

If I ran away, I'd never have the strength

To go very far

How would they hear the beating of my heart

Will it grow cold

The secret that I hide, will I grow old

How will they hear

When will they learn

How will they know

Madonna-Live To Tell

Drew and C.J. sat in the waiting area of the emergency department at the Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, waiting on Cassie's parents to show up as "The Oprah Winfrey Show" was blaring from the overhead TV. C.J. just got off the phone with Mr. Phillips, letting Drew know that they were now in Queens and on the way to the hospital.

"So you were telling me..." C.J. started. "That those two bitches sent a hit out on my sister, to attack her in the bathroom just because she was hanging out with you? And on top of that, that bitch Ashley called her and my dad white trash?"

"Yeah," Drew replied. "And they had a front row seat to the show, 'cause right after I beat both their asses, I forgot my phone in the bathroom, and they apparently searched my phone for Cassie's number, to bully her more through texts."

"I could fucking kill them and go to jail," C.J. grumbled. "I don't care."

"No, Ceej, don't say that," Drew replied. "This isn't what your parents want, they've already been put through a lot, and once Cassie gets better, how would she feel?"

C.J. hung his head down. "You're right," he said.

Just then, Cheyenne came bounding in the room.

"C.J., Drew, are Mom and Dad here yet?" she asked.

"No, not yet, but they're in Queens though," C.J. replied.

"Did you tell them?"

"I couldn't."

"Good," Cheyenne said. "Mom's gonna have to sit down for this."

She sighed as she sat down across from Drew and C.J.

"I knew something like this was going to happen," Cheyenne said sadly. "I just didn't know that she would actually go through with it."

"Maybe it's because she got all of this stuff happening to her, and she wanted to find a way out," C.J. added.

"She did," Drew spoke up, looking up at C.J. and Cheyenne. "She had all this bottled up inside her, and because she was so scared to tell anyone, she had no way out."

Cheyenne sighed heavily as she burst into tears. "How are we going to tell our parents about this?"

"I don't even know," Drew replied. "We just gotta focus on Cassie pulling through this, and tell her that everything's gonna be alright, and we're gonna make those two bitches pay for everything they've done to her."

C.J. and Cheyenne nodded at this. Almost ten minutes later, Drew's heart literally shot out of him when Cassie's parents came in through the doorway. Mrs. Phillips looked distraught, while Mr. Phillips had his right arm around her shoulders to support her while looking distraught himself.

"Charles," Mrs. Phillips started, her voice broken. "The receptionist... she told us... that Cassandra suffered an overdose," she said. "Is that true?"

C.J.'s lips twitched, as tears streamed down his face, unable to speak.

"Yes, Mrs. Phillips, I'm afraid so," Drew replied lowly.