Chapter 8: This Must End

Put on my pj's and hop into bed

I'm half alive but I feel mostly dead

I try and tell myself it'll be all right

I just shouldn't think anymore tonight

Jewel-You Were Meant For Me

Cassie continued crying while she was shaking in fright. She had no idea how Simone and Ashley got her number. She looked at her phone resting on the bathroom sink with utter horror, as it vibrated continuously. Cassie just now remembered that Drew left his phone in the girls' bathroom, and Cassie went to go get it. Simone and Ashley must have gone through Drew's phone to get Cassie's number, meaning they had a front row seat to her attack.

Cassie's head jerked upward when she heard the bathroom door open. Cassie looked up to see Cheyenne towering over her looking completely concerned.

"Cassie, are you Ok?" she asked. "Did you just throw up?"

Cassie couldn't even speak. Tears came streaming down her face uncontrollably, as she breathed heavily, her heart beating like a hummingbird's.

"Oh, my God, Cassie, what's wrong?" Cheyenne asked again. She knelt down to grasp her cold, clammy hands.

"I--I--I... d--don't k-know," Cassie managed to reply to her sister.

Cheyenne grabbed the bottle of Listerine from the shelves, poured some in a paper cup and handed it to Cassie.

"Here, swish and gargle," Cheyenne instructed.

Cassie did as she was told and spat out its contents in the toilet. Cheyenne nodded and helped Cassie up from the floor, and allowed her to brush her teeth. Afterward, Cheyenne held Cassie close to her as they walked over to their room. Cassie felt warm and snug in her embrace by how tall she was, even taller than C.J. and their mother. Only their father was the tallest of the group.

The sisters both sat down on Cassie's bed, Cheyenne wasting no time in breaking the silence.

"I guess you have some explaining to do," she said.

Cassie then heard Drew's voice echoing in her head,

Try to talk to someone, though, 'cause I hate seeing you like this.

Cassie took a deep breath and told Cheyenne about the note home and what their mother told her. But when she was about to tell her about the attack, her heart dropped when her phone vibrated. She felt that she was going to be sick again when Cheyenne took a look at the messages. Cheyenne's eyes widened in shock, while covering her mouth, as she read the horrific messages.

"Cassie," Cheyenne choked out. "Since when you've been getting these texts?"

Cassie's mouth twitched. "Since today," she replied.

Cheyenne looked through the messages once more and nodded in agreement.

"Yep, since today," she said, setting the phone down on the bedside table. "Who would send this stuff to you? And who got expelled?"

Cheyenne then scowled in anger. "Is it that little troll Simone?"

Cassie sighed and nodded.

"But there are two numbers on this phone," Cheyenne pointed out. "That's that other bitch, right?"

Cassie hung her head down, then looked back up at Cheyenne. "Yeah," she breathed out.

Drew's words then rang loud and true.