Chapter 20: Reunion

As summer was ending, you were walking in

It seemed my life was falling

But in this season we were friends

Six days into spring is where our story begins

You didn't rush a thing

But you knew you would win

Goapele-First Love

Monday Morning

Cassie took a deep breath as she smoothed down the jean jacket she wore over her graphic pink t-shirt, along with her blue jeans and white Converse sneakers. Today was her first day back from school since her suicide attempt. She was really nervous, but luckily her newly found friend Nikki was by her side.

She was eternally grateful for her offering to ride the bus and subway with her to school, just to ease her nervousness and tension. While on the train, they were discussing nothing but Disney Channel and the pop culture of today. She enjoyed herself with Nikki, that all her nervousness faded away. However, the nervousness came back to her when they were walking on that certain path they take leading to the school. Her heart pounded when she was in front of the school. She had no idea what she would expect, even though Simone would literally be in solitary confinement for a week and Ashley was barred from the school.

Nikki squeezed Cassie's hand gently to release tension. "Alright, Cassie, you ready?"

Cassie took a deep breath before nodding her head. "Yeah, I'm ready."

"OK, let's go."

Then hand in hand, Cassie and Nikki entered the school building. Cassie felt the despair she would always feel whenever she stepped inside the lobby because of Simone and Ashley disappear as she realized how much support she has now; Nikki, her parents, her brother, her sister, literally her entire extended family members, and most importantly, Drew. Cassie felt her heart swell up with happiness at the fact that within minutes, she was going to see Drew again after being separated from him since more than a week ago. It wasn't that much time, but for Cassie, it felt like years.

"Cassie!" one of the two school aides at the door exclaimed, making Cassie blush a little. "Welcome back!"

"Are you feeling better now?" the second school aide wanted to know.

"Yeah, I'm almost there, but other than that I'm fine," Cassie replied. "My therapy sessions are really helping a lot."

"Oh, bless you," the first school aide smiled. "You have a great day, alright?"

"I will, thank you," Cassie replied, while Nikki smiled.

Cassie's heart was pounding a mile a minute as she and Nikki walked up the stairs to their first-period class, trigonometry. She was just about to see Drew. She longed to hug and kiss him, grateful for everything he'd done for her.

They've reached the floor now, and not even a minute passed when she saw Drew talking amongst his friends while smiling and laughing, in contrast to his moody, frowning attitude way back at the beginning of the year. Cassie fought back tears at the fact that it might be her and everything that transpired last Friday that was causing him to act like this.

"Uh-oh, Cassie, there goes your man," Nikki spoke up, nudging Cassie.

Cassie couldn't even speak, as her heart was full of gratitude and love. Just then, one of his friends spoke up, which was audible for Cassie to hear.

"Hey, Drew, your girl's here!"

"What?" Drew said, confused.

He then turned to see Cassie standing there, smiling at Drew, as she burst into tears. A shocked look appeared on Drew's face until it turned into a look of relief and pure happiness as tears streamed down his face. Cassie didn't blame him for tearing up; the last time he saw her was when she was hospitalized, unconscious in a hospital bed, hooked up to a heart monitor.