Chapter 18: Simone's Confession

Put to rest what you thought of me

While I clean this slate

With the hands of uncertainty

So let mercy come and wash away

What I've done

Linkin Park-What I've Done

C.J.'s jaw dropped as he heard who Simone's father was to Angie. This man was Jermaine Hall, Angie's ex-boyfriend from the late 1970's right before she was enamored with Austin, clad in the MTA New York City Transit uniform. After all the stories told about him over the years, it wouldn't be surprising if Austin pounced in the next few seconds. But Angie held on to Austin's arm for dear life, looking up at him with pleading eyes as if she was saying, "Austin, calm down, don't do this." But Austin's left hand was clenched into a fist, as he looked at Jermaine and his daughter.

"Oh, I assume you know each other," Mr. Gonzales commented.

"Well uh... yes," Jermaine replied anxiously, fixing himself in his chair. "She's an old friend of mine, hadn't seen her in years."

"Is that so, Mrs. Phillips?" Mr. Gonzales questioned Angie.

Angie hesitated before nodding her head. "Yes," she replied.

Meanwhile, Austin's face reddened as his lips curled, staring Jermaine down.

"Small world," Mr. Gonzales said, with a gentle smile. "Why don't you three have a seat."

"Thank you, Mr. Gonzales," Angie smiled forcefully.

C.J. went to sit down, while Angie elbowed Austin in the arm for him to snap out of it.

"Oh, yeah," Austin said, with a forceful smile.

They both sat down, thus beginning the meeting.

"Alright, now the reason you all are here is to address the situation regarding last week's altercation and to resolve this, and anything else," Mr. Gonzales said.

"Yes, let's resolve this," Jermaine spoke up coldly. "I just need to know why this hothead of a child choked my daughter so bad that she got bruises on her neck!"

Jermaine then gingerly moved Simone's hair out of the way, baring her neck to reveal dark bruises on the area where C.J. grabbed her. Austin breathed out a bitter chuckle and bit his lip furiously as he looked down to the ground, making Angie hold on to his hand and give him a look.

"Well, C.J.?" Mr. Gonzales asked.

"Um, well, Mr. Gonzales, it's a long story, and it involves my sister, Cassie," C.J. replied meekly.

"How is Cassie?" Mr. Gonzales wanted to know. "I haven't seen her in several days now."

"We'll get to that in a little bit, Mr. Gonzales," Austin spoke up sharply. "Let's just start from the beginning, huh? Charles, explain why you choked her, they need to know why, tell them."

"Austin..." Angie spoke up with a warning tone.

"No, no, no, Ang, he needs to explain himself. Charles, go ahead."

C.J. took a deep breath. "Well, Mr. Gonzales, first things first, um... Simone's been bullying my sister for a long time," he said.

"How long exactly has this been happening?" Mr. Gonzales asked.

"Since freshman year," C.J. replied.

"What?!" Jermaine spoke up in outrage. "Simone would never bully anyone, 'cause she knows damn well that I'd tear her ass up if she gave anybody in this school a hard time, 'cause they here to get an education in peace so they could be somebody in life."