Chapter 5: Trust The Process

She's electric

She's in a family full of eccentrics

She's done things I never expected

And I need more time

Oasis-She's Electric

January 2006

Cassie looked up at the clock at the left-hand side of the room during history class, counting down to the time when the final bell would ring, allowing her to finally go home, away from all the nonsense that this school possesses. Most importantly, she longed for the talks she would have with Drew. Even though it happened two months ago, the incident where Simone and Ashley assaulted her in the hallway was still stuck in her mind. Not because of the pain and humiliation endured that day. It was because on that day, it dawned on her that Drew really cared for her. Every thought of him being a conceited douchebag and full of himself flew right out of the window. All that was left was Cassie being smitten by him every time they would meet.

Things changed dramatically after that day. She would always feel so insecure; keeping her image as pleasant as possible, avoiding moments where she would get twisted in her words every time they would talk, and making sure she looked good every time she would leave the house because she knew Drew was watching. It seemed like day after day, Cassie's feelings for Drew would grow stronger. Quite frankly, by the end of the day Drew would probably do something that would eventually make Cassie fall for him.

"Alright, class," the history teacher called, clasping her hands together. "It's that time of the year that we start group projects!"

The classroom then erupted into groans of disappointment at the announcement.

"Tsk, come on, it's your grade that's at stake here," the teacher said in dismay. "Now, since there's an even amount of you here, you will be grouped in pairs at random, so don't think you'll be playing around with your friends, I want you to know each other better, and this project is due next week."

Cassie felt her heart pound by the minute, as she prayed for the teacher not to pair her with that bitch Ashley. That would be the end of her. She felt her palms sweat as the teacher read out the names, while her stomach ached with anxiety. Luckily, she wasn't paired with Ashley, as her anxiety wooshed out of her. But then, the anxiety came back when she heard the teacher say,

"Cassandra Phillips will be paired with Andrew Fernandez."

Cassie turned to Drew, sitting next to the window. He smiled a little, as his eyebrows wiggled. Cassie looked away, her face turning hot at Drew's handsomeness.

The bell rang, making the students get up with their things and rush out of the room, eager to go home.

"Alright, get home safe, everyone, make sure you meet with your partner," the teacher called over the noise the students made.

As Cassie was putting away her books and pens, she felt a hand brush by her arm. She turned to see Drew with a smirk on his face, just enough to make Cassie's heart flutter.

"So, I guess we're partners, huh?" Drew commented.

"I guess so," Cassie replied, grabbing her bag from her desk with a small smile. "So when do you want to start on this?"

"Hmm, well a week goes by really fast, and we don't want to hand this in like a rush job so..." Drew started, twiddling his fingers.

"Yeah, you're right," Cassie nodded knowingly. "You wanna start today?"

"Sure, where?"

"Hmm, I don't know, the library down the block?"

"Oh, no, no, no," Drew refused, waving his hand in defense. "There are so many middle schoolers in there making noise in there. It's annoying as hell."