Chapter 2

Starring Role

Lana

"What does it say?" As I roll my eyes at Nathan.

"It's only been thirty seconds, give it a few more minutes." I say in an annoyed tone. I don't know why he's so excited.

"Now what does it say?" I look up at him. He is standing very excitedly in the doorway. I look back down. Only one red line. I silently sigh with relief. I'm not pregnant.

"Here." I shove the test towards him. He immediately takes it from me. His face fell with disapproval as he saw it.

"Next time we'll succeed. Don't worry babe." He tosses the test away. He leans down to kiss me on the forehead. Then I see him slightly mope into our room.

I feel bad now. I can't tell him I don't want kids. I only want kids made out of love, not an arranged marriage. He loves me, but I don't love him back.

The sex feels empty. No feelings whatsoever. But he refused to use a condom since we are a married couple and have nothing to worry about. So I secretly take birth control.

Getting up off the toilet, I close the bathroom door. Turning towards my reflection in the mirror, I take a deep breath.

My life sucks. My parents forced their twenty five year old daughter to marry the son of another company owner so that they could make a deal. Nathan ended up falling for me, so it worked out on my parents end. But not me. At least they give me 27% of the money they make because of the deal. So I guess you could say we're kinda loaded.

That was seven years ago. I thought I would learn to love Nathan but, I can't. He isn't the starring role of my heart. It feels like I haven't met that person yet.

I focus on my reflection again. My long wavy blonde hair flowing over my shoulders. I start to mess with it. Different styles and parts and stuff. Maybe it's time for a change.

I leave the bathroom. Heading towards Nathan and I's bedroom, I lightly knock. Opening the door, I see Nathan's back turn towards the door. Slowly walking towards his front, I notice his face is red and puffy. He's asleep. Jeez, he really wants kids.

I grab a pen and price of paper from the dresser draw. Careful not to make a sound. I feel like being nice.

Went out to do a few things. Don't know when I'll be back. If it's close to dinner, I'll bring something.

-L

I leave it where he can find it. Grabbing my phone, keys, and wallet, I head out.

Once I'm in the car, I turn on the radio. Not exactly caring what comes on. I just need a distraction. Turning into the first place that I know dose hair.

"Hello. How may I help you?" A nice lady behind the counter greets me as soon as I walk in.

"Uh, I would like to get my hair color changed..." she nods. Not sensing my awkwardness.

"We have an opening in about thirty minutes. Do you know what you want?" I shake my head as a no.

"Well," she places a binder on the counter." Good thing we are prepared for people like you." The older lady smiles a kind smile. I mumble a thank you before taking the binder and sitting in an empty waiting chair.

Thirty minutes pass quickly. I chose s lighter brown shade. The hairdresser seems like he knows what he is doing. Within thirty minutes, he brings me in front of a full sized mirror. Removing the towels off my head, I see what I chose.

My hair is now a beautiful light brown. I bring my hands up to my mouth.

"It's amazing! Thank you!" He smiles. I don't think he was expecting that response. They take me to the counter, I use Nathan's credit card to pay, and I head out.

A Starbucks is around the corner. So I decide to walk there. I turn the corner. Suddenly, I fall back onto my butt.

What the hell?!

I look up to see a surprised hippie. She has shoulder length black hair with three large beach waves on each side. She has round sunglasses on. If she isn't a hippie, I would never have believed it.

"Oh, my God! I am so sorry. Here, let me help you up." She extends a hand. I take hold of it. It felt like I got shocked. I quickly retract my hand. I see her face change in expression right before I did.

Did she feel it to?

She somehow helps me up. I dust myself off. Then I look up at her again. There is some slight dark blue peeking over the edge of her sunglasses. It looked like she had a black eye.

No. Why would she?

I ignore that thought.

"I am so sorry." I focus on her accent. It definitely isn't American.

"You're good." But she continues to profusely apologize. It seems she doesn't want to let it go quite yet.

"At least let me get you some coffee. As my sincerest of apologies." I shrug. Why not.

"Ok." We walk over to the starbucks. I can't keep that shock out of my mind. I just tell myself that it was just something weird that happened.

Or was it?

"I'm Marina by the way." I look back up at the dark haired girls face. I smile.

"I'm Lana." She smiles a little wider. I look forward again. Marina is now opening the door to the Starbucks. Looking at me, she motions for me to enter. Gratefully nodding my head and walking in. I notice she doesn't take off her sunglasses as we enter the coffee shop.

Walking up to the counter, we both order and take a seat across from each other at a small table. Slowly drinking my green tea, I look over towards the hippie in front of me. She still hasn't taken off her sunglasses.

"Are you gonna take those off?" I motion towards her sunglasses. Her body freezes for a second. She shakes her head.

"I'm ok with leaving them on." She seemed to have a panicked undertone as she replied.

Looking down her body, I notice a ring on her finger. She must of seen mine to. Because we ask at the same time.

"Are you married?" I briefly forget about my slight suspicions and we both smile and laugh. I am the first to recover and answer.

"Yeah. Nathan and I have been married for seven years." She smiles and nods.

"I'm actually engaged. We have been for twelve years. But we have been together for fifteen in total." I feel my eyes widen. Those numbers aren't heard of these days when it comes to relationships. But I notice her voice changes near the end of her statement. Like she misses just when they were dating all those years ago.

"Well, congratulations!" She rarely smiles and nods her head. She looks down and at her small coffee. That's when I truly see it.

She does have a black eye.

_________________________________________________________________________________
I hope you guys still are interested in Ultraviolence. I have worked so hard on this.

The updates will be gradual. I will wait till I get a few reads for the previous chapters before I post the next one.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter! Please, comment if you find any grammar issues. It's not my best subject so it will help tremendously if you do!

Love you!

-R