Chapter Ten: Save Our Lives

Everyone stared in shock as the steam stared to fully disappear. Alex looked at her ring with wide eyes; she honestly didn't know what just happened. Armin and Mikasa looked at their surroundings with wide eyes; all three of them were inside a rib cage. Not just any rib cage either, a Titan's. 

"Alex.. What did you just do?" Armin asked hesitantly.

Alex blinked and looked away from her ring. "I don't know. I have a lot of questions myself, but that isn't the big deal at the moment. Do you not see what is around us?"

"The last thing I remember is the sound of the cannon. Then came a loud shock wave and heat. We're inside a huge skeleton.." Armin said frightened. 

"Eren protected us. That's all we need to know right now," Mikasa said coldly.

Alex let out a sigh, "Why does this have to happen now. I really don't appreciate being called a witch. Because last time I could tell, I didn't have a pointy ass nose and I didn't go around flying on a broomstick."

"Alex, this isn't really the time to b-" Armin started but a sharp cold voice interrupted him.

"I honestly don't care," Alex said, her bored eyes staring into Armin's soul. He gulped and looked away.

"I can see why people would mistake you for Corporal Levi.." Armin muttered under his breath, but it was still loud enough for Alex to hear. She squinted her eyes at the blonde and growled. 

"Why do people keep saying that? I don't even know anything about him," Alex thought and looked at the purple flowers that somehow made it through the disaster.

"Flowers only on the inside?" Armin asked looking closely at the purple flowers.

"Hey!" yelled a voice. All three heads looked up to see Eren running around the giant ribs. 

"Are you guys alright?" Eren asked looking at the three.

"Eren, what is this?" Armin asked. Eren looked at it, "I don't know! But this is going to vaporize soon.. the way Titan corpses do. We need to get out of here! They're either watching us or they're preoccupied with something else. For the moment, the Garrison Regiment isn't taking action."

"Most likely watching us out of fright considering you turned into half a Titan, and Alex put up a.. well force field," Armin explained scratching the back of his neck. Eren's eyes widened, "Wait, what? Force field?" 

Alex sighed, "Don't ask me. I don't even remember it honestly."

Eren nodded understandably, "In the end, they'll probably continue their attack. After what they've seen.. I seriously doubt that talking to them will do any good. But I did recall one thing.. The basement! The basement in my home! My father said I'd understand everything if I went there! I became this way because of what my old man did. If I can get to my basement.. I'll learn the truth about Titans!" He had been holding his key that hung around his neck.

"Dammit!" He shouted punching the now fragile rib of the Titan body. "If he knew, why did he hide it?! Isn't that information the last hope for humankind?! Thousands of Scout Regiment troops have lost their lives searching for it! And he kept it hidden away in our basement?! What the hell was he thinking?!" He continued.

"Yeah, so that'd explain you and Titans. But what about me? I'm obviously not a.." Alex said, trying to think of a word that Eren was, "Titan Shifter."

"Eren, Alex, we have other things to do right now," Mikasa said laying a hand on Eren's shoulder.

"Yeah," Eren nodded and all four of them walked out of the Titan corpse. 

"The smoke's clearing!"

"Attack when you see them!"

"Let's get this over with quickly!"

Many whispers and shouts traveled through the soldiers. "Hold your positions!" Woerman shouted at them. The Titan's skull fell to the ground and sent large amounts of dust at the soldiers, blocking their sight.

"I'm getting out of here," Eren said. Mikasa and Armin gasped while Alex looked at them with her bored expression. "Me too," she said crossing her arms.

"Where will you go? How?!" Armin questioned. "Well I can always fly away on a broomstick, because as you heard, I'm a witch," Alex chuckled. Eren glanced at her before shaking his head. "Anywhere for now. After that I'll scale the wall and head for my old basement," he started and looked at his hand, "after I becoming a Titan again."

"You can do that?" Armin asked looking at his best friend.

"I don't know how I do it.. But I have a feeling I can. The way I can't explain how I move my arm. Earlier, I just reacted. All I could think about was stopping the cannon shell. That's why my body deteriorated without any functionality or durability. This time, I'll make myself stronger. A fifteen meter one like the one who kicked Titan ass!" Eren explained.

"You have a nosebleed," Alex said bluntly breaking Eren out of his own little world. He gasped and wiped his nose; sure enough there was blood on his hand. "You look pale, and your breathing is ragged. It's clearly messing with your body," Armin explained. Eren's eyes shifted to Alex, "Well how come she's perfectly fine?" 

Alex shrugged, "Well, I didn't turn into a Titan that's part of the reason."

Eren shook his head, "Right now, I don't give a damn about my condition! I have two ideas in mind. If you guys don't try to protect us, you won't be killed. I've -- we've already put your lives in danger. From here on, I think Alex and I should go together."

Armin gasped and shook his head. "No way.. I-"

"Eren," Mikasa said, "I'm coming with you."

"You can't!" Eren objected. Alex nodded in agreement. "I think it'd be best for you and Armin to stay behind. I'd rather risk Eren and I's lives than all of ours," Alex said watching a piece of the Titan's corpse vanish. Mikasa frowned, "If I can't keep up, don't worry about me. That way, I won't have to do as you say either."

"I'm telling you, forget it!" Eren said angrily. "I'm not your kid brother and I'm not a child!" He continued.

"Eren, I-"

"Wait, Mikasa. I said I had two ideas, remember?" He said and turned to look at Armin. "Armin, the rest is up to you," Eren said. 

"Huh?" Armin asked looking up to meet the brunette's eyes. "I know that what I'm about to say is ridiculous.. The most effective use of this Titan power would be to strategically use it on behalf of the troops. Same thing with Alex's.. powers. This may sound crazy.. but if you tell me you can convince the Garrison Regiment that we don't oppose a threat.. We'll believe you and do as you say. This was my second idea. If you tell me you can't, I'll go with the first plan as my last resort. You have fifteen seconds to decide. Whether you can, or you can't. I'll - we'll respect your opinion either way," Eren said seriously. 

Armin looked at Alex and she nodded in agreement. "Eren.. How can you leave such a huge decision up to me?" Armin asked. Eren smiled, "Because you know what to do when things get hairy. I want to rely on your judgment."

"When did I ever..?" Armin asked. 

"There've been lots of times. Like five years ago. If you hadn't called Mr. Hannes at the time, both Mikasa and I would've been devoured by the Titan and dead by now," Eren explained. Half of the spine and rib cage of the Titan had broken off and fell loudly on the ground.

"Armin! We're running out of time!" Alex said grabbing his shoulders and shaking him. He was taken by surprise; this was the first time she had ever touched him. Her unique blue eyes stared into his light ones. Armin stood up straight and shrugged her hands off of him.

"I will convince them! You three will do your best to show no resistance," Armin explained. They nodded agreeing. Armin turned around and walked out of the steam so where the soldiers could see him clearly. 

Alex looked at Eren, "Are you sure about this?" Eren nodded. "All we can do now is trust his words." Alex heard clanking and worried gasps. 

"So you've finally shown yourself, monster! I'll do it! I'll give the signal!" Captain Woerman shouted. Armin had his hands up in defense.

"They are not enemies of humankind! They are willing to share everything they've learned with you!" Armin shouted.

"I will not let you beg for your lives! They've shown shown us what they are! It's too late for that now! If you claim they're not our enemies, then prove it! If you can't, then I'll just eliminate the treats!" Woreman shouted. 

"There's not need for proof! The issue here is not how we regard them!" Armin shouted.

"What did you say?!" Woerman asked. 

"I understand that many people saw Eren as a Titan. If they did, they saw him fight the Titans. They saw the other Titans gang up on him! In other words, the Titans regarded him as prey like they do humans! And many people saw Alex get devoured by a Titan trying to saw her comrades! Yes, they also saw her cut herself out of the Titan's stomach unharmed, but when she got out she was only concerned about her comrades! No matter how you rationalize it, the facts are irrefutable!" Armin shouted, but no once did his face show any weakness.

"He has a point."

"A Titan and witch on our side?"

"That's absurd!"

"No way.."

"Prepare for attack!" Woerman shouted at the whispering soldiers. "Don't fall for their cunning trap!" Armin gasped as Eren, Alex, and Mikasa looked shocked. 

"What the hell? I would've thought that would work!" Alex growled.

"Their behavior has always been beyond our understanding! They take our form, and use our language. That means they can trick us as well! We can't let them have their ways with us any longer!" He shouted. Guns, swords, they all were pointed at them and ready to attack. 

Armin looked back at the three, and they nodded. He turned back to face the soldiers and gave his best salute. 

"I am a soldier who pledged his heart in order to resurrect humankind! If I perish while serving that pledge, I can ask for nothing more! By combining his "Titan power" and her abilities with our remaining troop strength, it might even be possible to retake this town! In the name of glory for humankind, in the few moments I have left to live I argue for they're value as fighting assets!" He yelled with all his strength.

Woerman lifted his arm up slowly and Mikasa and Alex started grabbing for their swords. But just as he was about to bring his arm down, someone grabbed it.

"Stop. For a big guy, you're as fragile as a fawn." 

"General Pixis!" whispered a soldier.

"Can't you see the magnificent salute he's showing you? I just go here after being informed of the situation by an official messenger. You go and take charge of the reinforcements. I think I should listen to what those people have to say," Pixis said calmly. Armin dropped to the ground and panted with relief. 

"I should've known I wouldn't find one.. I wouldn't mind being eaten if it were by a knock-out female Titan," Pixis said looking down at the male-based Titans that were scratching at the wall. Alex rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. They were now on top of the wall, just them five. There were no other soldiers. Armin and Eren had explained what the plan was, since neither Alex or Mikasa knew much about it.

"I see.. We'll know everything if we go to that basement," Pixis said looking off in the distance.

"Well, not everything. But everything to do with Titans," Alex said with a 'tch.'

"Will you believe me?" Eren asked ignoring Alex's comment. 

"Since you have no concrete proof of this, I'll just keep that in mind for now," he answered with a chuckle and tapped on his skull. "However, I think I can tell when someone is telling the truth. So I will guarantee your lives," he added. The four soldiers let out a sigh of relief and their bodies seem less tense.

"Cadet Arlet, was it?" Pixis asked looking at Armin. 

"Yes, sir!" Armin said.

"Earlier you that if we used what you called "Titan powers" and abilities, it might be possible to retake this town. Do you really think that's possible? Or was it a last-ditch effort to save your lives?" Pixis asked. 

"It was both. What I was trying to say that moment, was that Eren, who became a Titan, could carry that large boulder to seal the gateway that was destroyed. And with Alex's skills protecting him, along with whatever other abilities she might have, it might be possible. It was just something I thought of on the fly. I hoped you would see how Eren's and Alex's powers could change our present situation," Armin explained. Pixis made a 'hm' sound and turned his back to them.

"Of course, I said it in the desperate hope of saving our lives!" Armin added.

"'In desperate hope' of saving yourselves. Now those are words I can believe," he said then took a drink of what Alex assumed was alcohol. He sighed and walked towards them. 

"So, Cadet Jaeger, Cadet Bellerose.." Pixis started.

"Sir?" They asked in unison.

"Can you seal the hole? And can you protect him if he does?" He asked. 

"Huh? Well.. I don't really know. I don't know anymore about myself than these people here do. That's why, I may by able to, or I may not. I don't want to give an irresponsible answer," Eren explained. 

Pixis chuckled, "Yes, you're right. Forgive me. That was the wrong question to ask. Will you do it, or won't you? Which will it be?" Pixis asked staring at him.

"He'll do it, because I will be helping him."

----------------------------------------------------
This is more of a filler, but oh well. 
Levi will be coming in either chapter eleven, twelve, or thirteen. I'm hoping twelve, but we'll see.
Sorry if there were any mistakes x.x
Comment what you think?
(Also it's a 2427 word update :D)