Chapter Nineteen: Breakdown

It seemed like everything went in slow motion for Alex. Hanji held up her dead sister's body and her mouth moved, but Alex couldn't make out what she was saying. All she could here was ringing her in two ears; and her vision was slightly blurry. Eren had his hand on Alex's right shoulder, and he too, was talking but she only looked at him with confusion and big eyes. Her head seemed to weigh fifty pounds; making it hard for her to turn. Another hand came in contact with Alex's left shoulder and she slowly turned her head and was Levi staring at her with his eyebrows scrunched together. He was also trying to say something, but the ringing in Alex's ears blocked it out.

Alex brought a hand to her cheek and felt a wet substance. Was she crying? She couldn't tell. It didn't feel like she was crying. She was still in shock seeing her dead sister. Her body was so.. lifeless. Pale. Limp. Her lips were chapped, and Alex remember she would always have to tell Elisa to stop licking her lips or they'd get chapped. She couldn't this time.

Alex took a breath in and everything went back to normal. The ringing in her ears stopped, and her vision went back to normal. "Alex? Alex can you hear me?" Eren asked shaking her shoulder. Alex blinked and looked at him with an open mouth. Her eyes then flickered back to Elisa. Hanji had laid her down next to the other dead bodies and there was a red blanket over her body. The red blanket meant 'unknown.'

"Do you know who she is?" Levi asked with raised eyebrows. Alex opened her dry mouth and tried to speak, but her voice cracked and didn't make any sense. "What?" Levi asked.

"Elisa.. Elisa Bellerose. My sister."

* * *

After Alex had told them who the body belonged to, she felt all the emotions she had locked up deep inside her mind hit her like a brick. She didn't know what happened -- her body took over. The rope that once secured her hands behind her back snapped in half and she took off running into the forest. No one followed her, most people didn't even notice she left. Except Eren and Levi, but they had to report who the body was right away before doing anything.

"Are you sure it's her?" Hanji asked Levi. Levi nodded. "That's what Alex said before she took off running. That idiot.." Levi mumbled the last part to himself. "Should we go after her?" Eren asked worriedly. Hanji shook her head, "She probably needs time to cool off. You should leave her alone for a couple of hours." Levi's eyes looked over at the forest she ran into.

The sun had set already, leaving nothing but darkness for Alex. She didn't know how to feel -- what do feel. She was angry.

Angry at herself.

Angry at Titans.

Angry at everything.

All the emotions she kept boxed up over the years were finally showing. Her mind and body couldn't handle it; she was always so emotionless all this sudden emotion felt like someone dropped a hundred pound boulder on her. Alex had ran for awhile now -- she no longer knew where she was or how to get back.

She was lost.

She hadn't been paying attention to where she was going (which would have been a good idea). She just wanted to get as far away from that place as possible. Alex looked down at her family ring in anger. She slipped it off her finger and threw it to the ground and stomped on it; but it did not break. It remained undamaged. Alex furrowed her eyebrows and stomped on it again -- harder. The ring didn't break this time either. It stay perfectly fine looking like it was new as ever.

She hated that ring.

She hated Titans.

She hated the annoying people she's spent the last four years with.

She hated being alone, even though she knew it was for the best.

And most of all, she hated herself. She hated herself for being weak, for not being able to save Elisa. To her, it should've been her who got eaten by the stupid smiling Titan, not Elisa. Alex reached down into her boot and pulled out her pocketknife. It was once her father's, but he had given it to her to be safe. Alex only used it once for that purpose.

The black haired girl flicked the knife part up and stared at it. It had tiny roses carved on the edges of the blade -- only adding to the family name. Alex had never noticed the roses carved in it, yet again, she's never actually looked at it closely. She shook her head and threw the knife a nearby tree, she was mad, sad, angry, hopeless.

Alex walked over to the knife and ripped it out of the rough bark. Her hand wrapped around the silver blade, but she didn't pay attention to the pain in her hand as blood dripped from it. Alex dropped to her knees with her head down, clutching the blade like she was hanging off a cliff and the knife was the branch she was holding onto, to keep from falling into the depths of Hell.

Then she cried.

All the tears she held back in her eyes over the years came flowing out like a dam that broke because the water pressure was too much for it to hold. It actually felt good for her to cry -- she had forgotten how to feel emotional pain.

And little did she know that on top of a tree branch, someone was watching her.

Pretty short chapter, sorry. But the next chapter is going to be a special one (;

- OOTD -

What'd you think of the chapter overall?

Did you expect Alex to do that?

Who do you think was watching her?

Comment (:

- Sorry if there were any mistakes -