Chapter Thirty-Nine: Questions About Alex (Part One)

Reiner sat down in the cold wooden chair nervously. He tried his best to hide it, but he wasn't doing that good of a job at it. Levi noticed Reiner's eye twitching every now and then and how he would often wipe his sweaty palms on his white jeans. Levi raised an eyebrow but said nothing until the interrogation started. 

"So you're Reiner Braun, right?" Erwin asked intertwining his fingers together as he leaned forward and looked Reiner in the eyes. Reiner slowly nodded. 

"Yep." Reiner said calmly, his nervousness slightly downgrading. Erwin nodded then leaned back in his chair before crossing his arms over is chest. Levi scoffed and pushed himself off of the wall he was leaning on seconds ago. He walked over to the table and slammed his hands down on it. The sudden aggression made Reiner jump and become somewhat scared. Levi smirked inwardly at the result. Erwin was to be the nice guy, while Levi? Anyone can figure that out.

"What do you know?" Levi asked straightforwardly while glaring into Reiner's eyes. Reiner blinked and sighed with a shrug. 

"Nothing, but she was acting a little strange the other night. You know, the one where she kind of embarrassed me," Reiner said with a frown. His nervousness was completely gone -- or at least that's what he told himself. He was still slightly nervous, but he had to put of an act. He's been doing it for over five years now, why should an hour be any different? Exactly. 

Levi narrowed his eyes even more -- if that's even possible -- and repeated his words again, "What do you know?"

"Like I said, nothing." Reiner said tapping his foot quietly. He just wanted this to get over and done with so he could find Alex sooner and complete his and Bertholdt's mission. Levi's eyes twitched and a scowl replaced his thin line.

"I overheard you talking to your little buddy, Bertholdt was it? Do you think he would start talking?" Levi asked as he tapped on his chin pretending to think. Reiner's eyes widened at the thought of them questioning his best friend Bert. He knew his friend wouldn't tell them, but his nervousness would get the best of him and they would be suspicious. So Reiner sighed and looked down at his hands in his lap.

"Alright, I tell you." Reiner said quietly. Levi smirked in satisfaction and Erwin raised his bushy eyebrows. Reiner didn't dare to look up as he spoke the lie he made up.

"The other night I was hiding from Alex, but when I finally noticed she wasn't looking for me anymore I decided to go to my room and get some sleep." Okay, that part was actually true. So not all of this was a lie.

"But as I was walking I noticed Alex walking in from the other direction. She threw a paper into the fire and then continued walking. I tried to get the paper but it was already burnt," Reiner explained. That part was also true. Actually, most of this was true just one little lie that'll change the situation around to make him look like a victim. Erwin and Levi's eyes urged him to go on. Reiner sighed and played with his thumbs. 

"A few minutes later she walked to the front entrance so I decided to follow her. She had something, a package maybe. I'm not sure, it was dark so I couldn't see it that well. I ended up following her to the underground at a bar called 'Joker's Bite.' I waited outside for her to come back out, in case she got drunk. She came out not long after going in, but she didn't have the package this time. As soon as she came out a whole bunch of guys dressed in black attacked her. I tried to do something but they had someone else knock me out. They said 'Don't say anything' before they did," Reiner explained. If you didn't know this already -- the last part never happened. But Erwin and Levi seemed convinced. Levi was still skeptical though. 

"That's all? And why didn't you tell anyone about it?" Erwin asked with a raised eyebrow and a confused facial expression. Reiner sighed and finally looked up with bored eyes. 

"When I woke up I was in my room, so I'm guessing those people dragged me back or something. There was a note on my chest with a threat on it, a really bad one too, and they said to burn it or else, so I did. I only told Bert because I thought he could probably do something about it," Reiner finished then quickly spoke.

"B-But don't let anyone find out I told you two that!" Reiner said believably. Erwin and Levi looked at each other silently before Erwin turned back around to face Reiner. 

"Don't worry, what you say will only stay between him and me, if there anything else?" Erwin asked after assuring Reiner's fake worry. Reiner shook his head.

"No, sorry." He said with a sigh. Erwin nodded. 

"Then that will be all."

*     *     *

"Bertholdt," Erwin said looking into Bertholdt's eyes. The tall brunette awkwardly shifted them down to the table, obviously not liking the attention he was getting nor the eye contact. Levi looked over the nervous man and scoffed. 

"What's wrong with you?" Levi asked bluntly. Bertholdt dared to look up and meet Levi's eyes but it was to much so he went back to looking down. 

"I-I'm not that good at talking with other people," Bertholdt said quietly with a small sigh. Erwin nodded understanding his situation, but Levi continued to glare at him. Levi slowly walked over to where he was standing directly behind Bertholdt's chair. Bertholdt felt his presence and shifted uncomfortably. Levi's eyes narrowed at the back of the tall boy's head. 

"Reiner told us he told you about what he saw," Levi said bluntly and forwardly. Bertholdt's eyes widened and Erwin raised an eyebrow then looked at Levi with a confused expression. Levi shrugged and started walking around the room slowly, making sure his footsteps were loud and slow.

"He did?" Bertholdt asked shyly. Erwin nodded while Levi stare with a straight face. Bertholdt sighed. 

"Yeah, he did tell me. He didn't tell me everything though," Bertholdt said while staring at the wooden table. Reiner had actually told him everything, but he knew that Reiner would never tell them everything. Knowing Reiner, he probably came up with a lie. Bertholdt just hoped he could match up with his best friend's unknown lie.

"And what did he tell you?" Levi asked. 

"That he followed Alex and saw her get kidnapped but he couldn't do anything about it. That's all." Bertholdt said with a small shrug. 

"And why didn't you tell anyone?" Erwin questioned. Bertholdt bit his lip and looked down at his thighs. What would Reiner say?

"There was a threat," Bertholdt tried. Erwin and Levi looked at each other before nodded. 

"That is all." 

*     *     *

"Eren." Levi said while staring at Eren as he sat comfortably in the wooden chair. Eren raised an eyebrow. 

"Yes?" He asked. 

"Do you know anything about anything to do with Alex?" Levi asked with his lips in a thin line. Eren shook his head and sighed before running a hand through his brunette locks. 

"No. I actually thought she was sleeping in and ditching training," Eren said honestly with a small laugh, "I had no idea that she was kidnapped." Erwin raised an eyebrow and stared at Eren. 

"How do you know she was taken and didn't run away?" Erwin asked crossing his arms and leaning forward in his chair that sat across from Eren's. Eren shrugged. 

"I've known Alex for a few years now, she's not someone to just quit on things. If anything, she was more determined than me even though she didn't show it as much. She wouldn't run away; it's just not her style. Plus, with her powers I wouldn't be surprised someone would want to take her. Annie wanted us from the start," Eren said frowning at his last sentence. Even though it's been weeks since the Annie incident, he still didn't want to believe it. 

"Do you know anyone who would want to take her?" Erwin questioned. Eren shook his head.

"No," Eren said truthfully. Levi nodded his head.

"You may go," Levi said with a sigh. Eren grinned and stood up from the chair then walked out of the small interrogation room, leaving both Levi and Erwin in their thoughts. Levi crossed his arms over each other and leaned against the wall. 

"I think it's obvious that Alex was taken," Erwin said. Levi nodded slightly, agreeing.

"Do you believe Reiner and Bertholdt?" Levi asked. Erwin sighed and shrugged. 

"I don't know. But we'll make sure to keep an eye on them just in case." He said and rubbed his eyes with his hands. Levi nodded and walked out to get the next person; Holly Vanbree. 

-------------------------
Sorry I couldn't update in three days x.x I was to tired to after I got home from school. But I'm going to try to pre-write some updates for the week because volleyball is finally starting and I'll be getting home around five thirty-six. And I have to get up at like five thirty in the morning so I have to go to bed earlier AND SCHOOL SHIT TAKES UP ALL MY TIME. 
BUT I MADE A COVER PHOTO.
The picture on the side is the original one, so you can see how much I edited and changed it. 
Does it look good though?
Comment your thoughts~