Chapter Forty-Two: Suspicion

After Holly's small talk with Terra she had ran to her horse to go to the underground. She was actually going to ask around, but she highly doubted anyone saw anything. It was dark and most people aren't surprised if someone were to get kidnapped in the underground. Down there it's basically a war that has never been won. 

If you see something -- you never did. That's just how it works. The consequence can and will be painful.

Holly neared the entrance to the underground and tightly tired her trusting horse up to a nearby fence. Her horse, Eli, neighed and shot up. "Calm down girl, I'll be back before you know it." 

Holly smiled and petted Eli to calm her down. The horse instantly responded to Holly and calmed down. Holly pulled her hand away and started to walk through the entrance.

As she walked in the dark tunnels she got strange stares. Of course she would; she was wearing her uniform. Some people hid items they were holding as she passed but she could care less. She didn't care about them or their drug problems. She was there to get 'information.'  

Holly walked up to the bar that Alex was at only nights ago. She smirked at the front of it, thinking about how Alex was taken there. Wiping off her satisfied smirk Holly opened the door. The loud noise dimmed down and the customers stared at Holly with slightly widened eyes. Even though most of them were drunk off their asses, they could still see 'The Wings of Freedom' well and clear. Holly rolled her eyes.

"A girl around this height--" Holly raised her hand to the estimate height of Alex, "--with black hair and blue eyes came here a couple nights ago. Anyone see or know anything?" 

The men looked at each other and shrugged. They would think they would remember a girl in the bar, yet alone a pretty one if the girl Holly was describing was at all attractive. The bartender and owner of the bar stopped wiping the counter and raised his head. "Actually, yes. I do." 

Holly slowly walked over to the owner and crossed her arms. "Well?"

The man looked over her and frowned. Something seemed off. He cleared his throat and looked her back in the eye. "She actually delivered something here. It's gone now but that's all I know. And after she left there was noises coming from outside if that helps any." 

Holly rolled her eyes and kept a straight face as she leaned into the older man's. "You only saw her hand you the package. That's it. Got it?" 

The man blinked and slowly nodded his head. Holly pulled away and smiled sweetly at him. "Thank you for the information!" As she walked away from the owner he couldn't help but frown. He knew he had to keep his mouth shut, and he also knew something was off about that girl. Sighing, he shook his head and continued to cleaned the counter tops.

*     *      *

"So they said they saw her run off somewhere?" Levi asked with a raised eyebrow and a confused expression. He had bags under his eyes and his lips were chapped. He hadn't gotten much sleep last night -- why? Because he was worrying. 

Yes, worrying.

Surprising right? It was to him at least. He didn't know why, but he sort of missed Alex's back talking, witty comments and sass. She was probably the only person who continued to talk to him even after he threatened her. Well, besides Hanji of course. 

Speaking of Hanji, she's been studying a sample of Alex's blood. She knew she couldn't be much help to the investigation, so she decided to continue her work. So far she hasn't found anything. 

Holly nodded her head and faked a sigh. "Yeah, I was hoping they could tell me where but they said it was too dark to see." Levi frowned and furrowed his eyebrows together. Why would Alex runaway? That's one more thing that he couldn't make sense of about that black haired girl. Sighing Levi gave a tight nod and turned to his office door.