Chapter Eleven: Retaking Trost (Part One)

"Assemble the General Staff. Let's work out a strategy!" Once the words left General Pixis mouth; Alex knew. Their last-ditch effort to stay alive was actually going to happen. More lives will die -- all because of their far-pitched idea. None of them had actually thought it through; they just hoped that they would forget about the unbelievable idea and let them live.

But that's never the case with these men. 

"What?! But.. it was just a wild idea! You can't just put it into action," Armin explained also surprised that they were going to go through with the plan.

"That's what I thought at first. But there's no use in questioning his decision. General Pixis has a vision we cannot see right now," Eren said looking down at Trost. Titans were feasting on the corpses of the brave soldiers that had given up their lives to help humanity. 

"That we can't see?" Armin questioned staring at Eren.

"And before we carry out our plan, a more fundamental problem needs to be addressed," Eren started and went on to explain, but Alex beat him to it.

"The General understands the situation not only too well," Alex said running her fingers over one of her swords.

"What are you saying?" Armin asked, still not getting the point. Eren and Alex exchanged glances; it was like they could read each others minds. That thought wondered around Alex's mine for a few seconds before shaking it off. "We just think alike in some ways," she assured herself. 

"The Titans are not our only enemy," Alex and Eren said at the same time. They both had seen it, how the General acted so calmly about the situation. Not only did it seem strange -- any other person would have killed them by now due to fear -- but it was like he knew the plan all along. Alex didn't know if Eren was thinking the same thing; but she sure was. It was just strange to her how well he handled the situation. 

"We're in a race against time," the General said breaking them all out of their thoughts. Alex frowned for a split second before taking her time to turn around and face him. By now there were two other soldiers standing behind him.

"There's work to be done, young soldiers," Pixis said with a sly smirk painted on his pale face. Alex squinted her eyes at him wondering what goes on in that bald head of his. 

* * *

"Before that land was controlled by Titans, it's said that humankind fought endless ethnic and ideological wars. Then some said: 'If a powerful enemy appeared, that wasn't human, the human race would come together and stop fighting.' What do you think about that?" General Pixis questioned as the three of them walked along the wall. He had sent Armin and Mikasa to headquarters then told Eren and Alex to follow him. They weren't really going anywhere, just listening to the General talk mainly; unless he asked a question like he just did.

"I wasn't aware of that story. I think that's over simplifying things. It's not as profound as it sounds," Eren said causing Pixis to chuckle.

"I've heard of it. My father told me that story," Alex said bluntly looking straight ahead.

"Isn't your father Eric Bellerose?" Pixis asked for confirmation. 

"Yes, sir." Alex said with a small nod. Pixis let out a small laugh, "I remember him. Smart, skilled, fast thinking and not bad looking while doing it. Just like you Cadet Bellerose." What he said made Alex a little uncomfortable; she didn't like it when people talked about her father. And the 'not bad looking while doing it' just made her want to through out that someone as old as the General saying that to her. Eren glanced worriedly at Alex but she kept a blank face. 

They kept walking in silence; none of them bothering to speak up. It was a mixture of awkward and pleasing silence. Alex couldn't tell which one it leaned on more.

"Eren?!" asked a surprised voice. Eren side glanced at the man then his eyes widened in surprise also. Alex, too, glanced over at the man who had said Eren's name. She had recognized him from somewhere, but didn't remember where. 

"You're okay.." the man mumbled with a relieved smile on his face. Eren didn't say anything, but he made a hand gesture, telling him to go back to his job. The General pulled out his silver flask and took two large gulps out of it then turned around and held it out, "Have some?" 

Alex shook her head, "I'd rather not be drunk when this all goes down." 

"I will!" Eren said grabbing the silver flask. He chugged some of the liquid; but it didn't go down. 

He spit it all over Alex.