thirty-eight

In which there's anger and pain.

•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•

You're both out.

Those last three words felt like a punch in the stomach.

Mirae's eyes widened from the tremendous outrage that was building up inside. She forced herself to stay still, her only movement being when she closed her hands into fists to stop herself from cursing at the teacher.

"You can't do that," she spoke lowly. "You have no one else to do this song."

"Didn't you hear? I have Hyunjin and Hyejin, who I'm pretty sure would do a better job than you two."

Three out of the four thoughts that crossed Mirae's mind were full of curse words directed to the woman. Oh, she wanted to erase that triumphal look from her face with so much passion! But she knew she'd be in a lot of problems if she dare to even touch the woman.

"Why are you so surprised, Jeno?" Mrs. Wang asked, a smirk slowly pulling up. "You knew this was going to happen."

"What?" Mirae's eyes went to her partner, whose eyes were right on the teacher's face, almost cursing her out.

"Time to get out," someone whispered and two students quickly ran away from the tense environment. A few seconds later, another set of students followed and soon there were only a little more than ten people inside.

"You knew she was going to ask that?" Mirae asked, taking a step closer to him. Jeno immediately looked at her with regret and fear, raising his hands up in defense.

"I didn't! I mean, I did know there was a part of the dance like that, but I didn't really think she would actually do it," then he glared at the teacher. "I thought she would consider the fact that we're barely friends at all. But I guess fucking no."

"Don't curse, kid, I'm your teacher."

Teacher my ass, bitch, Mirae scoffed lowly.

"So that's why you asked her to be your partner," someone from the corner of the class snorted.

"WHAT?!"

Mirae jumped on her spot and turned to the side, startled at the look that was plastered on Jisung's face. During the time she had known him never had she seen him that outraged. She stumbled on her own feet as she went to him, eyes wide in shock and mouth opened, not knowing what to say.

"Back off, Mr. Han," Mrs. Wang ordered, pointing at the door. "If you're even thinking on fighting anyone, please go outside and take some fresh air. We won't be having any fighting here, you're all supposed to be mature enough to figure things out like adults. And you, Mr. Jung, save your stupid comments for yourself or I'll be forced to push you back from performing at the Gala."

"You have no right to speak about maturity when you're trying to force me to do what I don't want to," Mirae hissed before she stormed out of the classroom.

Her whole body was shaking from anger, and it did nothing but increase when she met with the curious eyes of those students who had run away from the argument. She glared at them with all her might as she walked away, leaving the Arts building.

She didn't know where to go, but she knew she had to go elsewhere.

As she walked down the empty and silent halls from senior year, her mind kept replaying the moment when Jeno had looked at her regretfully. He knew! He had known all of this time that they would be forced to do it! Yet he didn't say anything!