That one time I had so many ''friends"

• Dedicated to my many imaginary friends

And by friends I mean non-existent animals that could talk and behave like human beings...and some humans with orange and pink skin.

I had many imaginary friends. I was an only child for almost 5 years and I didn't have any friends in that time period. I didn't go to preschool or anything like that, so I never talked to other kids my age. Maybe that's the reason behind my awkwardness...

So, in the midst of my never ending boredom, I developed several imaginary friends. And it wasn't just one or two and that was it...oh no, it wasn't that simple. Each one of my "friends" had a house, and siblings, and an extended family, and other friends, and a school....Now that I think about it, they had better social lives than I do now. They'd even go on vacation and I'd be stuck alone playing Sonic, Echo the Dolphin, or Mortal Kombat on my Sega (yes, I was an awesome little kid).

Then my little sister came along. Since she was only one years old by the time I started kindergarten, I still didn't have any actual friends. Don't get me wrong, I had no problem talking to kids (I was a bit shy, though) I was just weird. I wrote a story about an olive bathing in the sinks of the kindergarten's restroom. During nap time...I didn't take naps...no...I went to the library. Yes, you heard me right.

Though I did make one or two friends before 3rd grade, I was better friends with my teachers than with the kids my age. I found it more fun to stand outside next to the teacher than go play with the other kids on the playground.

But then eventually, the teachers got tired of me...either that or they were worried I'd turn into an anti-social maniac...so they nearly forced me to go on the swings. Being that I wasn't sure how to make friends, I resulted to hanging out with my imaginary friends again.

Then I heard about some kid going to the counselor. I didn't know what that was, and I was curious. I knew I couldn't go without a reason, so I decided to go because I didn't have any friends. Yes, that was my reason. That counselor probably thought I was a mini anti-social maniac.

Long story short, I ended up getting teased for my awkwardness...and it took a bad turn....but that's besides the point. Instead of fearing for my life (until the end of it) I made the bullying thing a part of my imaginary friend adventures. Yes, I'd pretend to be Sonic and run as fast as I can between ''islands'' which were really just trees scattered across the playground.

I was a smart kid, though. When the guy finally caught me, I told him not to grab my jacket, which he did, and I just slipped out of it and ran to a teacher.

Now let me describe some of my imaginary friends.

The main one was named "Dog History" and actually, he looked more like a fox than a dog (I modeled him after Scamp from Lady and the Tramp 2) Then there was "Girl Dog" (I was so creative with names, wasn't I?) and "Cat" and "Bunny" and the evil villain "Mean Dog". I would act out ''episodes" of their adventures in front of the family at Christmas parties or other gatherings. I would act out each part, preform the theme song, and everything...After I started school, I became really embarrassed about that and never sang or preformed for my family again. I could have made a comic out of that Dog History thing, though.

Actually, I did have a comic. It was about a cat that constantly had a headache and was always injuring himself doing stupid things outside of his house that was a garbage can. It would always end in him throwing up.

I found vomit humourus, not disgusting, and completely normal for a reason I will go into another time.

* * *

So there is a brief backstory to how my social awkwardness began. Anyone else had any imaginary friends? or when was the first time you felt awkward? Also, feel free to ask me any question you want about anything awkward that has happened to me.