Chapter 19. Indigo

~

The eyes are not here

There are no eyes here

In this valley of dying stars

In this hollow valley

This broken jaw of our lost kingdom

~

The Saturday after our awkward group therapy encounter, I returned to Nate's house for our second date. I drove there this time, and to be honest, I got lost twice trying to find the house at the end of the most complicated set of neighborhoods in the entire world. But it was worth it when I jumped out and both Nate and Bo greeted me in the front yard by whipping their heads up when they heard me. I wrapped my arms around Nate and kissed him while Bo circled my legs, begging for some attention as well. I finally gave it to him, vigorously scratching behind his ears before tossing one of his chew toys a few yards away. He scrambled after it and Nate and I took the opportunity to go inside before Bo tried to knock me over again. As much as I loved that dog, I wanted some time with Nate too.

We walked into the house and I saw Nate's dad sitting on the sofa, watching the eleven-a.m. news. He glanced up and did a double take when he saw us, fingers intertwined and shoulders rubbing together. He only smiled like he knew it was going to happen all along without a doubt. I didn't blush this time; instead, I just grinned back with a wave.

"Hey Dad," Nate greeted, pausing in the hallway on the little red rug to kick off his shoes.

"Hi. Hi Indie." He teased me, smirking to himself.

I groaned. "Nate!" I smacked his chest playfully and gave him my best glare.

"What?" He asked innocently, holding his free hand up to block any more attacks. "I didn't tell him to call you that."

"Yes, he did!" Nate's dad called from the sofa as we continued down the hallway, laughing richly.

I tried to elbow Nate in the ribs, but he grabbed my arm and spun me, so now we were face to face. "Nice try," he goaded, planting a kiss on my lips and settling his hands on my waist.

I rolled my eyes but couldn't help laughing when he picked me up and hauled me over one shoulder. "Hey!" I pounded my fists lightly on his back, "let me go!" I squealed and tried to wriggle free, but he didn't let me go.

"I would let you down," he mused, "but you'd be at the mercy of Bo. He's not nearly as nice as I am. I mean, he will beg you and beg you for attention."

"Hmm. Sounds like someone I know." I teased, crossing my arms over his back.

He started to tickle me until I was gasping for breath. Unlike most times I was straining to breathe, this was in a good way. I was starting to discover that maybe I could associate some things positively that originally scared me. Especially something like spending time with other people. Socializing could be a good thing. Always a good thing when it was with Nate.

"Put me down!" I gasped between laughs, "I mean it! I'm so going to get you!" He kneeled down and gently put me on the ground, grinning from ear to ear.

"I can't help that you're so cute when I'm messing with you," he said cheekily, and I rolled my eyes at him.

I looked around and realized that we were in his room. My chest tightened at first, never having been in a boy's room before, but after a few seconds, I relaxed. It was Nate; I just had to keep reminding myself that. He was safe. He was right.