Chapter 37. Indigo

~

This is the way the world ends

~

A few hours before Nate was supposed to pick me up for Prom, I went through a routine of little bits of panic to calming myself down to panicking to calming myself down to lying on my bed fully clothed in my dress and makeup to panicking to calming down. That was the first two hours before the dance. But the important thing was that I was able to stop the panic when it started. Of course, that still meant there was panic, no matter how much control I thought I had over myself. But I could ease the pain.

I had a stomach ache. That was my least favorite symptom of the panic. It was the only one that wouldn't go away after the initial attack had happened. I closed my eyes as I laid on my bed, rubbing my stomach soothingly in an effort to get some of the tension out of my muscles. It started to work until Petunia jumped onto my legs and waddled over my body to lick my face. She had been sleeping on my bed for the past weeks and decided that this was the perfect moment to take another nap in my room as opposed to on her cushion downstairs. I gasped when her paws jabbed my abdomen, grabbed her, and put her about a foot away from me so I could catch my breath. I gave her a dirty look, but she was too busy making herself comfortable on my duvet. I was about to grumble some not-so-favorable comments about her when my phone buzzed beside me.

Nate Bennett less than 1m ago

Here. Can't wait to see you :)

I heard a knock on the door and I flew out of room barefoot, giving up on the idea of wearing the heels I had been going back and forth on for the past hour. I ran down the stairs two at a time, somehow managing not to break my neck, and flung open the door to see a very handsome Nate leaning against the doorframe. He was wearing a dark suit and a blue tie that brought out the little bit of gold in his eyes. I didn't even tell him what color my dress would be; he just knew that's what I would choose.

"You look beautiful." He praised, grinning from ear to ear.

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Please, all the girls are going to be jealous of me because I'll have you on my arm."

"Guilty." He smirked, and I swatted his arm. He looked down at my feet. "You're going barefoot? I mean, I don't blame you, that would be way easier."

I laughed and ran back upstairs after ordering him, "Wait here."

I had a brief staring contest with the heels again before I decided against them. Even though everyone would be able to see my feet because my dress only went down to my knees, there was no way I was going to be more uncomfortable all night than I already would be. I could allow myself a little bit of leniency. So, I went over to the door of my bedroom and pulled on the same shoes I had been wearing earlier: my favorite, well-worn Doc Martens boots. I snickered when I thought about how Callie and her group would react to my decision to spare my feet so I could still feel them tomorrow. I bet they would be jealous of how comfortable I was.

I hopped back down the stairs and Nate's face lit up when he saw me. "Now those," He said, gesturing to my feet, "are perfect."

"I thought they would be," I said, doing a little twirl for him as I made my way to the door. He caught me in his arms and I responded, "now, let's get out of here before I change my mind and sit on that couch and never get up again."

"Fair enough." He grinned and reluctantly released me.

Once we were driving, I started to get a little antsy. I forced myself to relax, hoping that Nate didn't notice, but he did. He always knew when I was starting to get anxious.