Chapter Seven

April 6th, 1963

Between finishing up her final projects for the year, and helping Indigo source books for essay after essay, and house hunting, Christine found her head becoming busier and busier. When she finally had a second to sit down with a mug of tea, waiting for Indigo to finish her work, it felt blissful.

The papers for the best flat Christine had found yet were spread out on the bed in front of her, ready for Indigo to look through. She hoped this would be the one- it seemed perfect when she looked around it whilst Indigo was in a lecture. She bummed along to the Beatles record Indigo had put on, watching her girlfriend write the last few words and put down her pen, joining Christine and hugging her from behind.

"What's this?"

"Details of a flat."

She felt her hot breath on her neck as Indigo rested her chin on her shoulder, leaning over to read the details. She was vaguely aware of Indigo's hands roaming over her sides and thighs, and her hair slipping down to tickle Christine's chest. Suppressing a moan as Indigo's hands absently trailed over her inner thigh again, she bit down on her lip and smiled up at her.

"It sounds perfect!"

"Do you want to see it in person before I speak to the estate agent?"

"No, I trust you," Indigo grinned, "Oh Chris! This is perfect! We're really moving in together!"

Christine captured her lips in a gentle kiss, nibbling her bottom lip and running her hand through Indigo's hair. She turned to face her, kissing her properly before Indigo pushed her down onto the bed, straddling her waist and attacking her neck with soft kisses and little bites.

"Wow, someone's excited," she laughed.

"Sorry," Indigo blushed, pulling back.

"No, keep going," Christine pulled her back down, "Show me what a good girlfriend I am."

April 15th, 1963

A week later, Christine picked up the keys from the estate agent, taking the bus alone, past the bar to the flat. It was just a short walk down a side street, and backed onto a little communal garden; even if it wasn't completely private, Christine couldn't believe their luck. The other two flats were vacant and the house across from them belonged to an old woman who rented it out to students. She'd come during the day, whilst Indigo was in the studio, ready to clean it up a bit and start moving in furniture, with the help of Gary. When she'd told him she needed the day off to move in, he'd announced the bar was closed so he could help her- "no work for someone so small- and you're not getting that sweet little girl to help you". She didn't know if she should be offended by that.

He arrived at eleven, just as promised, as she'd finished cleaning up the kitchen and bathroom.

"Nice place you've got, Chris," he said, looking through to the lounge.

"Thanks."

"You living here alone, then?"

"No, Indigo's moving with me."

She realised her mistake the second she said it, chewing on her lip and trying to come up with an excuse.

"But there's only one bedroom?" his eyes sparkled, "Are you a couple?"

He said it nonchalantly, then looked across and saw how nervous she looked, standing with her hands fisting in her pockets.

"Don't be so worried Christine, I thought you looked like a couple when she came into the bar for the first time. People should be able to love who they love,  it's nobody else's business."

She smiled, relieved,
"Yeah, we are."

"That's sweet," he chuckled, "You two are good for each other."

"Thank you."

"Anyone gives you any trouble and you'll tell me, right? I'll sort them out."

"Alright," she laughed, "Old man."

"Old man? I can fight just as well as when I was a lad!"

"Sure you can," she raised an eyebrow and grinned.

By the time Indigo knocked on the door, Christine had moved most of the furniture in- leaving just a pile of towels and bedding in the hallway, balanced against the wall. She swept her into her arms, hearing Indigo's little squeal of delight as she hugged her tight and pressed a huge kiss to her pouty lips.

"All ours, baby," Christine whispered, "Do you want the tour? Then you can come help me unpack some cutlery?"

"Yes," Indigo leaned in and pressed a kiss to her cheek, "You're like- the breadwinner for our little home now. That's so weird. I feel like an adult."

"You've been an adult for a year and a half, Indy."

"Still haven't got a job."

"Don't beat yourself up about it, it's okay."

"I'm trying to get one, promise. You won't pay rent on your own."

"Indigo," she said firmly, "Sit down and let me take care of you, okay?"

She sat on the kitchen table, watching as Christine opened up a drawer and started unpacking.

"I love you."

"I love you too," she turned and looked at her, "Listen, when we move in, do you want to do something special on the night?"

"Special, like what?"

"Like do you want to go further," Christine's hands trailed down her stomach to the waistband of Indigo's jeans.

"Oh!" Indigo blushed, "I'd love to!"

Christine felt the heat radiating from Indigo's crotch and smirked, sliding her hand back up to her chest and ghosting it over her breasts, barely touching her.

Since finding a magazine with a page on sex advice, Christine had studied up and felt pretty confident she'd know what to do when the time came. Sure, it said it all about what a man should be doing to a woman, but she figured it couldn't be that different to what she did to herself. She smirked and pressed a kiss to Indigo's nose.