Chapter Thirty-Five

March 29th, 2014

For the first time since meeting Christine again, Indigo was truly shocked. It was two in the afternoon, and she was sat on the couch, Christine by her side on her phone as they lazily watched a movie when she spoke.

"Hey, Indigo, you know how much I love you," she began, "And want us to be together for the rest of our lives?"

"Yeah," she murmured, not really looking up.

"Will you marry me?"

"Don't be silly, darling, it's not legal."

"It is," she grinned, flashing her phone in Indigo's face.

"What?"

She read the article quickly,
"Of course I will!"

"Come here," she smiled, leaning in to kiss her gently, and then deeper, pushing her back onto the couch and laying between her legs, "I love you."

"I love you too."

July 16th, 2014

Their wedding hadn't been planned out, by any means. A small thing in their back garden, with a few people.

"Very lowkey" as Christine had described it, making Indigo thoroughly confused.

It ended up being the first time Indigo had met Fleetwood Mac too.

So, not too much pressure on her.

She sat in their bedroom, looking at the clock as her knee bounced nervously, counting down the seconds until she had to walk down into the garden. Counting down the minutes (their vows were the simplest they could write), until she became Mrs McVie- or Mrs Perfect, as Christine had insisted- "Mrs McVie is John's mum".

Christine stood beside Lindsey, hands trembling a little, tapping them against the soft, white linen shirt she was wearing.

"Nervous?"

"A little," she nodded, "But it can't be that bad, right?"

"Wouldn't know, love," he chuckled, tilting his head towards Richard, stood a few steps ahead of them, ready to marry them, "But you can tell me after, then I'll know for when America gets its act together so we can marry."

"You should just come and live here," she nudged his arm, "I'd get to see my best friend more!"

"Too cold," he said, "Old Dicky's getting fragile."

"I heard that! And you were the one complaining at the hotel last night!"

Lindsey grinned,
"See what I have to deal with, he's getting cranky."

Christine grinned,
"In another life, I guess."

"Another life," Lindsey said, turning around, "Oh, your lady's here!"

She turned to Lindsey, 
"Do I look okay?"

"You look gorgeous."

"Thanks, Linds," she smiled, waiting for Indigo to walk up to take her hand with a huge, but nervous grin.

July 17th, 2014

Indigo woke as the morning light filtered in through their bedroom curtains, turning in Christine's arms to face her and smile. The light caught on her new shiny ring, making her grin widen before her eyes teared up. 

"I love you," she whispered tenderly, stroking back her hair, "I love you, Chrissy."

She slipped out of bed, pulling on one of the thin t-shirts from Chris's cabinet and her panties from the night before, kissing her forehead one more time before heading downstairs into the kitchen. Even as she made breakfast, she couldn't take her eyes off of her ring. 

They were really married!

And it was legally recognised!

And they were together still, after all these years!

She grabbed her sketchbook from the sideboard, doodling away as she waited for the toast to pop up, smiling still.

She carried breakfast up to Christine, putting the tray down on the bedside cabinet before sliding back into bed and stroking  her cheek,
"Chris? Wake up, honey, I made breakfast."

"Hmm?" she groaned, "What?"

"Come on, darling wife-"

"Wife! I'm your wife!" Christine shot up, making her giggle and pull her back down for a kiss.

"I'm your wife!" Indigo squealed, "I'm your wife! Forever!"

"Can I make love to my wife again then?"

"After breakfast, honey," Indigo curled up against her side, "We need our energy."

"Planning on running me dry, huh?"

"Absolutely, wifey."