Chapter Sixteen

December 13th, 1964

After a long, hot summer, rain came lashing down hard as Indigo and Christine walked back to their flat from the grocery store, making Indigo squeal and shiver. Christine guided them to under a shop's roof, motioning to her coat's hood with one heavily laden hand. Indigo reached up and helped her, but the thin coat would do nothing to protect her from the rain.

"Come on, it doesn't look like it's gonna get any better," Christine said quietly, "Five minutes, then we'll be warm again."

Indigo groaned but nodded, letting Christine lead her back to the flat, feeling distinctly annoyed as she felt her clothes soak through. Christine dropped her bags the second they entered the flat and started shedding her clothes as she made her way to the linen closet, grabbing some large towels. Groaning to herself, Indigo took off her shoes and coat, hanging them over the radiator, and moved Christine's clothes too, before stripping down. As she wrapped one of the towels around Indigo, she was struck with the sudden thought that even drenched, with her hair hanging limply around her shoulders and a frown on her face, Indigo had to be the most beautiful woman she'd ever seen. She smiled and started drying her like it was absolutely normal, making her grin too, at the absurdity of it all.

"This better not happen again," Indigo grimaced.

"What? Don't you like some special attention from me?"

"Oh, I absolutely love it, I just don't enjoy not being able to feel my feet."

"Let's run a hot bath, get you warmed up again, my precious baby girl," Christine teased, kissing the tip of her nose.

"Mmmh, you know just how to make a girl swoon," Indigo followed her into the bathroom, feeling a pang of pain in her thigh.

"You okay?" Christine asked once she noticed Indigo had stopped and had one hand on the doorframe, her head resting on her forearm.

"I think getting rained on probably triggers my fibro."

"I'm sorry, baby," she murmured, "But maybe the bath will warm your muscles up a little."

"I hope so!"

She turned down the cold tap, pouring in some of the bath oil and motioning for Indigo to move closer, until she was back in her arms, and taking her towel to put it on the rack. She shivered as the cold air hit her, but Christine's hands on her back soothed it.

"Want me to join you in the bath?"

"Yeah," she said, "Nothing sexy, right?"

"No, just getting you warmed up."

"That sounds so good right now, you have no idea."

An hour later, Christine slipped out of the bed, kissing Indigo's temple as she slept soundly, buried beneath layers of blankets to keep her warm. She quickly put away their groceries and started chopping up vegetables to put in the slow cooker for the next day, knowing Indigo would be worn out in the morning if her fibro had flared up and would likely wake at midday needing food. A while later, she slipped back under the covers, wrapping her arms around Indigo.

December 14th, 1964

Christine woke to a bitter surge of cold. Shivering, she leaned up to peek through the heavy curtains. To her surprise, she was greeted with the sight of a heavy coat of icy snow covering the street, blocking up doorways. Great. They were snowed in. She flopped back down onto the bed, checking Indigo was still asleep. At least they'd bought groceries the night before- and she still had a lot of the dried food her father had bought them in July. They'd be fine as long as it didn't last long. She checked the clock, finding that despite how dark it still was outside, it was nearly nine.

She made her way into the kitchen, quickly turning on the slow cooker, before heading back to the bedroom, wondering if she should wake Indigo and tell her the news or let her sleep for longer. Maybe the worst of it would clear up if she waited?

But by midday, when Indigo woke up and yawned, as she was gazing out of the window as light snow fell down, it hadn't cleared up even slightly. There wasn't any traffic, and she hadn't seen a single person walking outside.

"Hey, baby," she murmured, pointing out of the window, "We've got news."

"No, please no, this is a dream, right?"

"I'm afraid not."

"I can't deal with any more cold, Chris. It hurts. It feels like I'm being stabbed. And I have work to do, I need to use the print room. Have they closed uni?"

"I would assume so," she said, "Even if they haven't, we're ten minutes away and can't get there, so there's nothing we can do but stay here and relax, yeah?"

"Yeah," she groaned, burying her face in the pillow, "At least I have you."

"I put our soup on, do you want to sleep until dinner?"

"Nah, I'm awake now," she said, "Can we do something fun today?"

"You want to model for me? I can find some clay and sculpt your delicious little body."

"Delicious...a bit weird, Chris," she laughed, "Are you planning to eat me, now we're all alone and nobody can get to us?"

"Oh, I'm planning to eat you, alright," she winked.

December 15th, 1964

A day later, the snow hadn't cleared, but someone on their street was out when Christine glanced out of the window, making her gasp as the figure drew closer to their flat. Indigo whined indignantly, making her look back at her quickly, seeing her nearly-nude body again. She'd been modelling for her all afternoon.

"Sorry, there's just someone outside."

"In this weather, are they mad? It'll probably start snowing again soon."

"See for yourself."

"Chris, that's your boss."

"Gary? What the fuck?"

He waved up at them, motioning to the doors as he came closer. Indigo rushed to get dressed again as Christine grabbed her keys and ran down the stairs to the outer doors, fumbling with the locks. Gary called through the door,
"I have a shovel, don't open the doors yet, it'll flood through!"

"Okay," she called back, hearing the scraping sound and then his call of the all clear, "What the hell are you doing out in this weather?"

"I wanted to check you two are okay, and I brought you some things in case the power goes out, I didn't know if you'd have anything."

"Thank you," she smiled, "We're good mostly, we bought groceries the day before it started snowing, so we're good for now."

"All the shops are closed apart from the one across from the bar- the woman who runs it lives above it, no buses are running and your school is closed for at least two weeks, the power was knocked out there."

"Thanks for checking," she smiled, "Would you like a cup of tea whilst you're here?"

"I'd love to but I better get home before it starts snowing again," he said, handing her a box, "But here you go."