Chapter Seventeen

April 4th, 1965

Christine straightened her jacket once more in the mirror, as Indigo crept up behind her.

"Looking hot, Perfect!"

"Hot probably isn't appropriate when I'm going to teach children," she laughed.

"Maybe I just have a thing for powerful looking women," she joked, wrapping her arms around her waist, "Really though, I'm so proud of you. The kids are going to love you."

"Are we still on for dinner tonight?"

"Of course, I can't wait for dinner."

"I'll pick you up from the nursery if you like?"

"Sounds good," Christine turned, "I love you so much, but I have to get going if I want to be there on time, I'll see you tonight, yeah?"

"Yeah, have fun!"

Christine got into the swing of things very quickly once she arrived, learning the names of all the children and setting up the little corner they'd given her to teach in. She was told she'd be getting groups of five, to make it easier on her, and she was grateful for that- she wasn't sure about it. She wanted to teach, but not really with young children, but she was determined to make it fun for them.

Her first group were a rowdy introduction, but her second, after a short lunch break, was much quieter and inquisitive. One of the little girls, Ella, clung onto her arm sweetly, nearly falling asleep as the others coloured. She looked adorable, eyes half closed and hair ruffled around her shoulders. She wouldn't mind having a little girl like her, one day, she thought.

"Why does that lady have blue hair?" she asked quietly, pointing at what Christine was colouring.

"She's my friend, she has blue hair," Christine said softly, "It's very pretty."

"But people can't have blue hair, silly," she said, "People have brown hair...and yellow...and red."

"When you're a grown-up, you can change your hair colour, with hair dye," Christine grinned at her.

"Can you have pink hair when you're a grown-up?"

"I think so," she tried to remember that aisle in the drug store.

"I want to have pink hair when I grow up!"

"That would be very pretty," she said, "Why don't you colour your girl's hair pink?"

She set to work, colouring it as the others all finished up and started to stray, heading back outside to play in the afternoon sun or to try and ask for biscuits from the nursery leader. Ella stayed at her side,
"Is that lady your girlfriend?"

"Yes, but you mustn't tell anyone."

"Why not?"

"Because we could get into trouble, you see girls aren't allowed to be with other girls just yet."

"That's not fair!"

"It isn't, but people are trying to change it," she said.

"Can boys be with boys?"

"It's the same," she said, "It will change one day though. And when you're a big girl, you'll be able to choose who you want to be with."

"Okay, I won't tell anyone," she smiled, "I'm going to go and get a biscuit, can you look after my drawing?"

"Of course, sweetie," she said as she teared up a little, making a mental note to tell Indigo about what she had said later.

When her shift was over, Indigo was waiting out with the parents collecting their children, and she noticed Ella's parents lovingly gathering her up into their arms and smiled softly. For a young girl so clingy, she had wondered if her parents weren't too good to her, but it seemed the opposite as she giggled, twirling in her mother's arms. She approached Indigo,
"Did you see that little girl? She's the cutest little thing I've ever seen."

"Cuter than me?"

"Almost," she linked her arm with Indigo's, something they'd found they could get away with after seeing a few mod girls walking together like that, "It was so much fun, they're adorable."

"I'm glad," she said, "So, you think you'd rather teach them than teenagers?"

"I don't know yet," Christine led her up the street towards the Italian restaurant that had recently opened, "But I'm pleasantly surprised. I'll tell you when we get home."

June 4th, 1965

"Chris!" Indigo called from the bedroom, "Is this your Beatles shirt in my laundry?"

"Probably!"

"Get your Beatles shit out of my laundry," she called, "Since when have you been a Beatles fan?"

"Since A Hard Days Night!"

"Well that's unsurprising."

Christine walked through, taking the shirt out of her hands,
"What's your problem with them?"

"They claim they want peace but won't agree with the people taking action."

"Their music is good though."

"Banning the bomb is better."

Christine sighed,
"I won't disagree with you there."

Christine wrapped her arms around her waist, putting the shirt back onto her own pile of laundry and kissing her cheek,
"I'm gonna have to go out in a bit, to buy food, but I'll be back soon."

As she left, Indigo grinned to herself, snatching the shirt back from the pile and holding it to her face, deeply inhaling that unique scent of her perfume and her strawberry shampoo.

"I'll do your laundry," she called, quickly stashing it into her drawer and hoping Christine would forget it.