Chapter 21 - [Fictional Reality]

She was standing on a low stage when she opened her eyes. She had no idea how she got there, but she knew she was on a stage.

     It was in her village, where villagers would perform in their small monthly festivals.

     But she couldn’t figure out why she was on the stage. She never performed.

     It was dark at first, but when her eyes completely adjusted, she could see the crowd standing on the ground in front of her.

     She felt her panic rise when she saw the men and women staring angrily at her. Though, she was all too familiar with these stares… it was scarier for her to see them all together. All of them looking at her like that at once.

     She tried to look away, but when she did, she noticed some people that she didn’t expect.

     Alyssa was there. So was Lynkyn. Both of them also looked angry.

     And her disappointed looking parents.

     Even her brother was there, but he looked disappointed too.

     "How much longer are we going to keep her here?" The loud voice startled her.

     Meenu turned around quickly and saw Mayor Gryre standing near her. He looked at her angrily, a look filled with hate, and continued talking. "I refuse to allow this girl to remain in this village for any second longer!"

     "Mayor Gryre?" Her voice came out as whisper.

     "Confess to your crime and we will punish you with just exile!" He yelled. "If not, we will do as we feel is appropriate with you!"

     "What..." She hesitated. "What are you talking about?"

     The crowd that had gathered around started to say angry words.

     "Stop playing innocent!"

     "Stupid girl!"

     "She's going to get us all killed!"

     Meenu's lips started to quiver, but she didn't cry. She was too confused to cry.

     "Confess to your crimes!" Mayor Gryre said.

     "What crimes?"

     "Confess that you were conspiring with Avaryn since you were young! Conspiring against our village and the King!"

     Meenu scoffed. "What?"

     Her confusion was starting to disappear but now she felt scared.

     She had no idea what she had done wrong.

     Why would they think she was conspiring with Avaryn?

     Had someone lied about her?

     Was that why she was here?

     But why would Mayor Gryre believe such a lie? He always trusted Meenu and was always fair when he judged people.

     And her parents too… why were they so disappointed in her? Did they believe this too?

     "Confess!" The crowd yelled.

     "Meenu!" She heard her father call.

     Meenu's racing heart relaxed a bit at the sound of her father’s voice.

     However, he still looked at her with disappointed. "Meenu, please. Confess. They will kill you otherwise."

     "Confess to what?" The tears escaped now. She didn't like her father’s tone. It sounded he was angry with her. And there was something distant about his eyes. A look that showed he had given up. "I didn't do anything wrong!"