Chapter 41 - [Pathetic]

Fury patted Avaryn’s shoulder. “One, two, three!”

     Avaryn winced as Fury pushed his shoulder back into the right position. But once it had returned to normal, it didn’t seem to hurt much at all.

     Master Red, who was standing across from him, looked at him with a frown. “I do not understand why you look so upset.”

     Avaryn rubbed his shoulder as he stood up. “Thank you, Fury.” He said with a slight nod of his head.

     Fury smiled and returned the nod.

     When Avaryn looked back at Master Red, he sighed. “I wasn’t going to kill him,” he said, “I really didn’t… want him to die. I wanted to avenge my father’s death but…”

     Master Red stared at Avaryn. He could see pure regret on the young man’s face and it made Master Red uncomfortable.

     Ever since he reclaimed his identity as Avaryn, things have been getting out of hand. And Master Red absolutely hated it when things were not under his control.

     Blood was always quick to finish his work. He was not hesitant and he never held any regrets. He was… in a sense, colder than Avaryn was now.

     Avaryn was slowly becoming more and more sensitive.

     But what made him worry was the fact that he couldn’t understand why. He couldn’t understand what had happened to Avaryn that would make him so… childish.

     Was it his love for Meenu?

     That was really all he could think of.

     “That was Seliaryn’s father,” Avaryn’s brows furrowed, “and mother…”

     “But it was for the greater good–”

     “Was it?” Avaryn asked, “Seliaryn was king already… his father was probably not going to do anything else to hurt anyone. His had achieved his goal.”

     “But bringing justice is always for the greater good.”

     Avaryn looked away and sighed. “Seliaryn… when we were kids, he would have done anything for me.”

     Master Red narrowed his eyes.

     “If he found out that I wanted to avenge my father, he would have joined me without a hesitation. That’s how good of a friend he was.” Avaryn suddenly looked even more regretful then he already was, “that’s why I did it… that’s why I threatened to kill everyone he loves before I left. Because I didn’t want him to come with me. It wasn’t his problem and I didn’t want him to ruin his own life for my sake.”

     “Then if he is such a good friend, he should understand why all of this happened.”

     “The fact of the matter is, it was his father…” Avaryn frowned deeply, “the least I could have done to repay Seliaryn for his kindness was to give him peace. But now… his father is dead. And his mother–”

     “Killed him.” Master Red finished, “it wasn’t you who did it. It was his own mother.”

     “But it was my fault.”

     “No it was not,” Master Red said, “that man had left that woman emotionally traumatized by what his had done. She would have done it eventually.”

     “You don’t know that,” Avaryn said, “you didn’t see what I saw.”

     “And what was that?”