3 - Coffee Confessions

(Starbucks!Keith x Reader)

I breathe air into my hands, desperately trying to warm myself. The cold air whipped snowflakes around me, biting my skin. I rushed down the street, annoyed with myself for forgeting my good coat. Instead all I had to keep me warm was a flimsy hoodie with a broken zipper.

A relieved sigh escaped my lips as I pushed through the familiar doorway of Starbucks. I shudder when heat blasts into face, blowing into my hands again to vigorously rub my arms. I cling to my hoodie as I walked to the counter, scanning the menu for something to warm me. I shiver as I scan the options, pulling my hoodie tighter.

"You look cold." A voice says, snapping me out of my shivering trance.

I look and smile at the familiar face. Keith had a grin on his lips as he looked at me, arms crossed. He always took my order so we became friends after always seeing eachother, considering I came here often to do papers for college and my job. It wasn't as popular as most other Starbucks, so it was a nice place to relax and get things done.

"Thanks captain obvious." I laugh and lean against the counter. He chuckles, brushing his bangs out of his eyes.

"Yeah whatever. Do you want your usual?" He askes, getting ready to put in my order. I shake my head.

"Suprise me. Just make it warm; I'm freezing."

"Right."

I pull my wallet out of my thin sling over bag and reach for my debit card when Keith shakes his head.

"It's on the house."

"Really?" I ask in slight disbelief. He nods and smiles.

"I'd feel bad considering your freezing." I stare for a second and slowly break into a grin. He had already started to prepare whatever he had chosen, so I doubt he saw my appreciation.

"Wow, thank you." He nodded quickly, not meeting my gaze as he continued to expertly make my drink.

I watched him until something unfamiliar got caught in the corner of my eye.

"Is your mullet in a ponytail?" I question, staring at small poof of hair on the back of his head.

Keith jerks his head up in surprise before turning slightly red in embarrassment.

"Yeah, what about it?" He askes, quickly going back to the drink,"Does it look bad?" He asked again, more quietly than before.

Surprised at his question, I take a second to respond.

"No I think it's nice. I've just never seen you put your hair up before."

He nods silently and I wait quietly, besides the chattering of my teeth, for my drink. Keith hand over a large cup with steam rising from the top.

"So what is this; Posion?" I joke as I take the drink and huddle it close to myself. He laughs quickly before answering.

"No, it's a Keith Special. Try it." He says warmly, gesturing toward the cup.

"A Keith Special; Oh boy." I murmur as I bring the cup to my lips and take a sip of the piping hot coffee.

Keith gives me an expectant look when I pull away from the lid.

"Do you like it?" He asks, his voice slightly nervous.

"Shit, this is good." I mutter before taking a much larger sip. He instantly relaxes and smiles.

"See, you gotta trust me." He says lightly.

I roll my eyes as I search for a crumpled twenty dollar bill in my bag and put it on the counter for him. He furrows his eyebrows at it before glancing at me.