15 - Final Call (Part 1)

Modern AU

Keith's POV

I cough and jerk forward, blood spilling from my mouth into my hand, splattering it with deep red. My body screams in agony so vivid, I can't hold myself up anymore. Slumping against the door I backed into, I thud to the ground, the pain numb compared to the gunshot in my side. Fucking bastard. I would have let him steal the TV, he didn't have shoot me. I groan and lean back against the wood, breathing heavily as adrenaline pumps through me.  I gotta get my phone. Call the police.

I try to reach my back pocket without moving my bleeding side, but it's impossible to reach.

"It can't be that bad." I mutter to myself and start to turn my body. I cry out in pain, anguish shooting through me like lightning. My nerves feel like they're fire, burning under my skin. I slump back down, gasping for air.

"Okay, maybe it is bad." I sputter, coughing more blood up. After a few minutes, I grit my teeth and try again. I'm not dying without trying to get help.

A strained groan rumbles in my throat, but I bite my tongue and keep going. It feels like I'm getting stabbed in the side, over and over again. Feeling around with my bloodied hand, I pinch my phone inbetween my fingers and yank it out, collapsing back down.

"Fuck!" I curse loudly as I lean against my throbbing wound.

My vision blurs for a moment, dots clouding my sight. I breathe harshly, my lungs on burning as I suck in as much air as I can, as the wind gets knocked out of me from the pain.. Gripping my phone like a lifeline, I try to ease myself back to the brink of tolerable agony.

"Okay, okay; I can do this." I try to reassure myself as dark thoughts start to populate my mind.

What if they don't get here fast enough?

What if I die like this?

It's gonna kill Y/N-

Y/N.

Thoughts of the love of my life start to flood my mind. The person who completely changed my life. The person who makes my heart beat fast whenever she walks into a room, even though we've been dating for 4 years. The person who I run to when I come home. The woman who I fell so deeply in love with, I can't even imagine my life without her there. Y/N.

Thank God she wasn't here.

The sharp, shooting pain in my side reminds me of the device squeezed tightly in my bloody hand. I lift my phone up and turn it on, trying to make out the shapes on the screen. I can't even see straight. After a few mistakes, I insert my password and press the phone icon. The screen was already covered in blood, swipes and fingerprints dirtying the glass. As I type in the three infamous numbers, squinting to see the keypad, a thought passes through my head.

What if I call and I still die? What was the last words I said to her? 'See you when you get home'?. Did I even tell her I love her?

My thumb hovers above the call button, the phone shaking in my hand as my strength drains from me. I need to hear her voice one last- I cough and lurch forward, a small blob of blood coming up. With the momentum of my bloody coughing, my thumb slips and accidentally presses the call button.

"Shit-" I curse as a calm woman's voice answers.

"911, what is your emergency?"

"Hi, I've been shot and I think I'm going to die in a few minutes, but I want to call my girlfriend and tell her I love her with every fiber of my being, so just pretend you didn't hear this."