43 - Smile

Let's pretend I haven't been gone forever, shall we?

Modern/Garrison AU (Unedited)

You glance up at the back of Keith's head as he sat wearily in front of your shared desk. His hair was mussed from the amount of times he had run his hand through it, more wild than usual. Even from the back you could see his scrunch up shoulders and stiffened back.

Stacks of papers surrounded him, simulation reports and written formalities all waiting to be filled. His pen scratched the paper harshly, filling the empty space of your bedroom with a melancholy atmosphere.

You frown sympathetically at you work-beaten partner. Keith usually enjoyed his position as a Garrision Officer but the past week has been filled with nothing but stress inducing  grief. It had been atleast since then since you had last seen him smile.

You wanted to change that.

"Hey, Keith."

It takes a few seconds before you hear a tired, "Hmm?"

You wait patiently for the scratching of ink of paper to stop and for him to face you.

Maybe it was the tinge of the light but his skin was sallow and his features were haggard.

"I heard from Pidge today that it's impossible to breathe while smiling."

You hadn't even talked to Pidge today, much less seen her.

Keith furrows brow at you as he leans back into the chair, like he was processing what you just said. Then, he smiled.

It was forced and only lasted a few seconds, but it relieved something inside you.

"That's not true..?" Keith says in a puzzled tone.

You smile this time.

"I know. I just wanted to see you do it. It's been awhile."

Keith blinks slowly at you, once again taking his time to process what you just said.

And, again, he smiles. But this time it's  a genuine Kogane grin. The ones the squish his eyes and scrunch his nose.

Lunging out of his chair, Keith gathers you in his arm as he tackles you onto the bed. You yelp, burying your smile into his shoulder as you burst out into giggly laughter.

"I love you." Keith murmurs into your neck as he presses warm kisses under your chin, smiling as he feels you heaving with giggles.

It's only when he gives you break to nuzzle at the long column of your throat that you breathe back at him that you love him too.