22 - Birthday

It's pretty late (Keith's birthday is Oct. 23) but heres a Happy Birthday to our mullet bby

Modern AU

Your POV

Keith, didn't like birthdays. Not because of a bad party or event on his birthday, but because he hadn't shared one with someone in so long. After his dad past away, he spent his birthdays alone. While everyone else got presents from friends and hugs from their parents, he was by himself every year. When he finally met Shiro, Keith refused to accept any presents he tried to give him. It made him sad, thinking of his father, thinking of how alone he used to be.

Of course that wasn't going to stop me from trying.

As much as I would love to give him an extravagant party with loads of decorations, cake with everyone who loves him present (no pun intended) like a sweet boyfriend deserves, I know he would despise it. Parties already weren't Keith's forte, but one focused only on him would be a nightmare. So instead I apted to a small celebration that even he would enjoy.

I had Hunk bake his favorite cake, red velvet, which I would present him in the morning. Unfortunately, I decided against singing 'Happy Birthday', simply because I was sure he would feel weird having me sing to him and him only. Then, I would give him his present, a fancy, silver pocket knife. After that we would do whatever he wanted until seven o'clock when we would head to our favorite bar and meet up with the rest of the gang. They would give him the rest of his presents as we left so he wouldn't feel pressured to open them in front of everyone.

Even someone stubborn as Keith would enjoy today.

I was so excited for him that as soon as my eyes opened and the fog started to clear from my mind, I couldn't help but smile against his chest.

Stretching out my back, I lean across the smooth expanse of Keith's body, letting my hand drag against his porcelain skin until it falls off the other side. His chest rumbles underneath me as he lets out a groggy mumble, not making any sense but getting across the fact he was tired. Seeming to exert all his strength, Keith swings his arm with a grunt, which had slid off of me sometime during the night, over and around my torso. Latching on with a limp grip, he gives me a weak morning hug.

"Mornin'" Keith mumbles thickly, finding it strenuous to pronounce things without a sleepy accent. Shifting underneath my weight, he releases a sigh of exhaustion.

"Morning, Sleepy Head." I greet back, cooing softly at him with my pet name.

He gives an barely coherent reply back, but I can make out something along the lines of 'I'm tired, m'kay?'. My smile grows a little wider and I place a gentle kiss on his chest. His defined muscles twitch as my lips make contact with his rising chest, relaxing as he breathes out.

I let out a small yelp as he rolls over with new found strength, pulling me up to level on his pillow in the process. I was startled not by his sudden movements but by the cold sheets of the unlayed in part of our bed. Searching for warmth, I quickly sidle up against Keith.

He was basically a human furnace, generating enough heat to fry an egg in the summer months. Fortunately, he became the perfect cuddle buddy as the days became colder. Free time was often spent wrapped under blankets because, surprisingly, he was still cold despite his oven like similarities. So when I snuggled into his side, his natural heat production was a welcomed element.

Keith groans as I press against him, grumbling to himself. Despite that he tosses his other arm around me and tilts his head forward. As his forehead leans against mine, giving me a view of him for the first time since waking, I smile softly at his disheveled appearance.