26 - I Love You

I apologize I'm terrible at deadlines. This ones extremely short & unedited but it's something

"I love you."

I turn to Keith instantly, surprised at his sudden proclamation of affection. Sure, he was one to give sporadic kisses when he thought no one was looking, unprecedented hugs when I had my back turned and constant loving glances across then room when we happened to catch eachothers eye. But he wasn't the type to throw around those words, only on special occasions.

And I guess it could be argued that we were having a 'moment'. It's not everyday you get to sit on the head of your boyfriend's half sentient, mech lion to watch the sunset while cuddling under a blanket. The sun was going down and the sky was painted with streaks of fiery red and gold, vibrant blue being chased away by inky navy. But still, it didn't seem like a Keith thing to do. Yet here he was, saying it out of the blue.

His eyes were already on me when I turned toward him, sincere as they always would be when I looked at him. Maybe even more so.

"What?"

I heard him, but was so taken aback I couldn't help asking for confirmation.

Keith's lips quirk up into a small, meaningful smile as he leans the side of his head against Red, expression changing from gentle to tender. As the content sigh escapes from his nose, the arm around my shoulders tightens comfortingly.

"I love you." Keith repeats gently, his smile growing just a little bit wider as he speaks. I start to smile too, my lips curling up before I have a chance to think about it.

They seem to do whatever they want around him nowadays.

"I heard you," I murmur, copying him and leaning the side of my head onto Red as well, "I was just kinda surprised cus' you usually don't say it."

I instantly regret my word choice as his smile falters, making me realize the implications of the statement. Before I get the chance to correct myself however, Keith interjects.

"I guess I'll have to say it more often then." His gaze is sympathetic yet regretful, like even now he wished he could say more.

I smile softly at the thought, murmuring a small, "Yeah?"

He nods gently, coal colored locks sliding up and down the smooth surface of Red. A stray strand brushes my forehead, tickling my skin.

"Infact," Keith starts before pausing. With a small grunt he pushes himself up, looming over me for a moment before beginning to walk toward Red's snout, "I shouldn't just tell you."

I furrow my brow in confusion while sitting up. The cool air of elevated heights rushes to exposed areas, chilling my skin underneath my clothes. Bundling the blanket around me I watch Keith stand at the edge of his lion, gazing out upon the setting sun.

"I should tell the whole world- No," Turning his head back I can see the jubilant grin played across his lips, the vibrant red of the sunset reflecting across his eyes and lighting up his so defined features,

"The whole universe, how much I love you."

I chuckle, laughter escaping my amused smile at his proposition. As I stand to join him, I say inbetween my faint giggles, "Oh yeah?"

When he nods vigorously, the fiery look in his eye I now see wasn't just from the red in the sky but the determined glean his gaze reflected, I smile almost daringly and say, "Do it then."

The grin on his lips grows, flashing those pearly white teeth of his that always seemed to glow when he smiled at me in the dark. Not wasting a seconds more hesitation he moves briskly toward me. Two long strides was all it took for him to make us only inches apart. It wasn't until his calloused hand gingerly grazed my jaw that I truly saw the look in his violet gaze. The fire in his eyes burning with the love and care he couldn't always express but I knew was always there.

I want to say his name, let it roll of my tongue and pull his attention from staring so intently in my eyes like he was seeing through them. But I didn't get the chance. Instead he parted those chapped but kissable lips and breathed out those sweet words he always had such a difficultly saying,

"I love you."

It was just a whisper yet it contained so much meaning, so much strength in it's syllables, in each individual letter. His care, his adoration and warmth. His love was as true in those words as it was in every gesture or touch he gives me and I gives him.

Yet it wasn't without a question.

"Why did you whisper?" I mutter softly, not daring to break the gentle quiet he had made.

Keith smiles, eyes not ever leaving mine. They even seem to smile too.

"Because," He murmurs, sliding his fingertips from my jaw to my cheek, cupping it with his palm ever so gently. A pause consumes the air, caused by the need to do a small stroke of his thumb across my skin.

"You are my universe."

My eyes widen and I can't help but breathe in a little sharply. Keith doesn't seem to notice and if he does he obviously doesn't care. Instead the smile on his face, the look in his eyes, become loving and tender, like the way you look at something precious and meaningful. Only instead of a newborn or a puppy, it was me. I was the precious and meaningful thing Keith couldn't take his eyes off of.

But I wasn't just any special thing:
I was his world.

As I lean into his palm, earning an adoring look, I smile.

His universe.