11 - Fluffy Ears

(Galra!Keith x Reader)

It wasn't rare for Keith to have his moments when his Galra side showed much more profoundly than usual. If it was fluctuations in his personality, he could deal with it without too much stress. But when he's skin turned purple, he grew fangs and claws, ears sprouted on his head and the whites of his eyes turned yellow, Keith couldn't look at himself.

He hated they way he was when he transformed randomly, sometimes at night and sometimes during a conversation. But regardless of where it happens or when it happens, he would always come to my room. If I wasn't there, he'd wait for me, too scared that someone will seem him if he looks for me.

So when I walked into my room after training with Lance and helping him with defense, and flick on the light, I wasn't completely surprised when I saw the lump underneath my covers, dab center in my bed. I change the lighting to a dimmer setting, remembering fast transitions from dark to light hurt his sensitive eyes, and walk quietly to the side of the bed.

I crouch down and lift up a corner of the comforter, peeking underneath. I wait a few minutes for my eyes to readjust, and am able to see the outline of Keith's curled up figure. He's breathing steadily, so I assume he was sleeping. Great. I can take a shower before he wakes up so I don't smell like sweat from training.

I quietly pull out pajamas for me to change into, considering I probably wouldn't be leaving Keith's side until the morning, and tip toe to the bathroom, slipping into a hot shower.

———

As I stepped out of the steamy room, cool air engulfs me, sending a shiver down my spine. I toss my sweaty clothes into my hamper in the corner, and focus on the shifting bump in my bed. I crouch down again and raise one side of the comforter high. This time, I'm greeted by bright, yellow eyes that seem the glow in the dim light. His wide-eyed expression seems to fade into embarrassment or shame as he looks away. My poor Keith.

"Hi." I murmur softly, giving him a reassuring smile.

"Hi." Keith mumbles, lowering his head.

I reach a hand out and cup the side of his face, his skin smooth and soft. He leans in my touch, looking sorrowfully at the sheets. I frown and lean under the blanket, pressing my lips against his forehead.

"Keith, I'm not judging you." I whisper, looking at him with sympathetic eyes.

"I-I know." I strain to hear his words, his voice so quiet.

"You gonna come out?" I ask, patting an uncovered spot of the bed. He stares for a moment before slowly sliding out of his blanket fort, into the low light.

Keith's ears were flattened out, his appearance even more sad and upset than before. His jacket was gone, forgotten somewhere in his rush to not be seen no doubt, leaving him in his black, fitted T-shirt. His enhanced muscles were complimented by the tightness of his shirt, defined to a much greater extent. Despite his strength, he was even more gentle with me when he was Galra, terrified of hurting me.

But he scoots forward despite his fears, and embraces my legs loosely, resting his forehead on my ribcage. I slip my arms around his toned body and hug him, rubbing my hands comfortingly along his back.

"How do you feel?" I ask softly, reaching a hand up and stroking his hair, making his ear twitch.

"Like a monster." Keith mutters, pulling away and turning around.

My heart aches for him as I crawl to the otherside of the bed to meet his eyes.

"Keith." I call to him, "Keith, look at me."